Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i'm new to linux, i just installed it yesterday, and i can't access my hard-disk partitions under windows i hava both windows xp and ubuntu on one hard disk, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't see my Windows hard disk partitions

hi, i'm new to linux, i just installed it yesterday, and i can't access my hard-disk partitions under windows

i hava both windows xp and ubuntu on one hard disk, and i'm using the GRUB boot-loader to choose which one to boot. i take it for granted that windows wouldn't deign to notice the linux drives, but how can i access the windows partitions when i've booted ubuntu?

hi sasho,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

you have to mount windows partitions. execute 'sudo fdisk -l' in terminal and note down windows partition numbers. ( /dev/hda1, hda2 etc. )
    create mount_point (folder) and mount partitions.

Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/win_c
    sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/<partition_no>  /media/win_c
    ls /media/win_c
    in case, partition has FAT32 filesystem, replace ntfs with vfat. you can add an entry in /etc/fstab file for automatic mounting.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    thanks, Casper, i tried those commands and it worked. now i can access the xp partitions.

well, here are some other problems that i have. there isn't any sound on my computer while i'm running linux, under windows i have no problems, so it should be something with the drivers i guess. i have a cd disk with drivers for the soundcard but they're for windows only. my soundcard should be something like "C-Media AC97". is it supported by linux?

i also can't write on my xp partitions - they're read-only. i'd heard that ntfs is read-only for linux but it was a long time ago and i had hoped that things had improved since. can i actually write on them under linux?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    well, here are some other problems that i have. there isn't any sound on my computer while i'm running linux, under windows i have no problems, so it should be something with the drivers i guess. i have a cd disk with drivers for the soundcard but they're for windows only. my soundcard should be something like "C-Media AC97". is it supported by linux?
    you dont need drivers for sound card. execute 'alsamixer' in terminal and check if anything muted.
    i dont know much about sound problems. i would suggest you to start new thread for that.
    i also can't write on my xp partitions - they're read-only. i'd heard that ntfs is read-only for linux but it was a long time ago and i had hoped that things had improved since. can i actually write on them under linux?
    install ntfs-3g package to enable NTFS write access.
    execute this
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g
    unmount NTFS partition
    Code:
    sudo umount /dev/<partition>
    mount partition again with write access.
    Code:
    sudo ntfs-3g /dev/<partition> /mnt/win_c -o defaults,umask=0
    if all works fine, add an entry in /etc/fstab file for automatic mounting at boot up. you wont have to execute 'mount' command again.
    open /etc/fstab file for editing,
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    add this
    Code:
    /dev/<partition>  /mnt/win_c ntfs-3g  defaults,umask=0 0 0

Casper

Just Joined!
    i don't have internet at home so apt-get doesn't work for me. i downloaded the source code instead and installed it manually with
    ./configure
    make
    make install
    but i have some problem with FUSE. i installed FUSE from a source distro the same way but when i try to mount ntfs-3g it says there is no FUSE. any idea what the problem might be?

post the output of 'uname -a' and cat /etc/lsb-release.
    i will post here the links of all the .deb packages necessary for ntfs-3g.

Casper

Go to the Ubuntu packages page. Search for the package you need/want and you will see it's list of dependencies. Download and enjoy.

Ubuntu packages: http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro23
    Go to the Ubuntu packages page. Search for the package you need/want and you will see it's list of dependencies. Download and enjoy.

Ubuntu packages: http://packages.ubuntulinux.org/
    that site provides source files of packages only. its a bit complicated to download source of each dependency and compile it.
    best way is to download .deb package/dependency in .deb format and install through 'dpkg'.