Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone, I upgraded my Ubuntu server (old PC, AMD processor, 1ghz, 385MB Ram) with an extra hard drive. I don't have any other operating systems on the box. After ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

After Intalling Additional HD, Ubuntu Server Does Not Boot

Hi Everyone,

I upgraded my Ubuntu server (old PC, AMD processor, 1ghz, 385MB Ram) with an extra hard drive. I don't have any other operating systems on the box. After formatting and mounting the 2 new drive partitions, I rebooted the system but it didn't reboot. After the splash screen it showed a blinking cursor and nothing more. I inserted the ISO disk and chose "boot from first hard disk" option and it booted just fine and everything seemed normal. I started with 6.06 but upgraded to 6.10 thinking that would do the trick but I still have the same problem. I've looked around for Grub and MBR issues, and tried grub-install and a couple of other suggestions, but no luck. Seems like it ought to be simple fix but I can't find where the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

i think master/slave conbinattion has been changed after plugging in new Harddisk. did you try to boot up on un-plugging new disk? does it boot?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Hi Casper,

Thanks for your reply. The new drive is a Seagate which I intended to be the slave. According to the manual, removing the jumper should have put that new drive into slave mode. Of course, I might need to make an adjustment to the bios. I'll give that a try, but please let me know if you think of any other issues.

Joe

Just Joined!

That was it!

Hi Casper,

It was the bios. Thanks for the tip. It's been so long since I worked on a PC-type box (I've been a Mac user for years) that I forgot about telling the bios where to boot. Works just fine, now.

Joe