Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been using windows media center on my laptop for about a year now and I want now to dual boot my laptop with Ubuntu, but I am afraid ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Booting Ubuntu and windows media center

I have been using windows media center on my laptop for about a year now and I want now to dual boot my laptop with Ubuntu, but I am afraid of loosing data. How would I go about doing this as sort of a fool proof way. Let me know.

resize Windows partitions to create free/unpartitioned space for Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu LiveCD has GParted and its one of the bext partition manager. select 'unpartitioned/free' space during installation. Dual boot is default in all Linux Distros and installer will setup everything for you.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Defrag the Windows partition before you resize it. Just a suggestion.

Just Joined!
    New here too, What I did after messing with various distros was to install it on a seperate USB hard drive. I picked up a 180gig laptop one for $80 (missmarked as a 60gig) and set it up to boot from the win**ws boot manager to Grub. that way I don't have to mess with the MBR and when I take it to another computer I just boot it from a USB stick.
    I ended up with Ubuntu as the only one that didn't have problems with my computers. If I could ever get the installs to work with any of the modems or USB Wifi adapters that I have I'd ditch the duel boot and go compleatly linux.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaMikeCharlie
    I ended up with Ubuntu as the only one that didn't have problems with my computers. If I could ever get the installs to work with any of the modems or USB Wifi adapters that I have I'd ditch the duel boot and go compleatly linux.
    Rumor I hear is the Ubuntu devs know wireless is a big stumbling block and are working hard to improve that in next release. Fingers crossed

havoc - You are right to be concerned about data loss. The only thing I can suggest is to sit down and think hard about what you would do if something went horribly wrong and you had to start over. Have you burned a copy of the recovery partition? (Stupid recovery partitions have gotten huge - why is that?) Have you burned all of your personal data (documents, music, .jpg's, etc.) to DVD's or saved to an external drive? Have you carefully stored all CD's from any applications you've bought?

In other words, don't proceed until you're sure you could start over. It's important to go into this with a clear head. If not, when you get to a point you don't understand, panic will set in and things will go downhill from there.

By the way, Windows Media Center PC's are more complicated than plain old XP. I've read numerous threads on this. You'll find there's an extra partition on the hard drive for Media Center stuff (I don't know what exactly goes on in that partition) and that can make the partitioning choices more difficult. I'd suggest doing some searches on your favorite forums for your model and see what others have run into.