Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Many people probably ask this every day but... Ive downloaded the kubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso, but I can't boot it on my computer -.- I use a Gateway, and ive tried many things. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kubuntu Install Help

Many people probably ask this every day but...
    Ive downloaded the kubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso, but I can't boot it on my computer -.- I use a Gateway, and ive tried many things. Ive tried going into the file with 7-zip and extracted all of the files and burned them onto a disc, Ive tried just burning kubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso on a disc, edited my BIOS menue, but still, my computer never says "press any key to BOOT from disk..." like in M$ Winblows... can anyone help me?

Quote Originally Posted by Athan55
    Many people probably ask this every day but...
    Ive downloaded the kubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso, but I can't boot it on my computer -.- I use a Gateway, and ive tried many things. Ive tried going into the file with 7-zip and extracted all of the files and burned them onto a disc, Ive tried just burning kubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso on a disc, edited my BIOS menue, but still, my computer never says "press any key to BOOT from disk..." like in M$ Winblows... can anyone help me?
    I have a Gateway as well. All you have to do is hit the correct F-key(can't remember which one)when booting up and change your boot order to CD/DVD-Rom to boot first.

Stick the Ubunutu disk in and on boot-up, it should detect that an OS is on the disc and start the process.

Make sure you are burning the image correctly and not making a data cd. Also burn at a slow speed (4x).

Check this thread as well: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso

Good luck.

Just Joined!
    Wow, thanks so much ^^ ur a lifesaver :P

Wow, thanks so much ^^ ur a lifesaver :P
    No prob man. Good luck.

Just Joined!
    uggggh, I have another problem. I have a nVidia GeForce FX 5700 Graphics card, but Ive tried both drivers to download (they are both .run files) but they both are unable to run. Can someone set me in the right direction? thanks

Just Joined!
    do a google search for a script called "envy". Its terminal based but makes installation of nvidia drivers REALLY easy.

Just Joined!
    coo , now what cmd's do I use to make it work o.o thanks

coo , now what cmd's do I use to make it work o.o thanks
    Kill X with ctrl+alt+F1 and then type "envy".
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

Just Joined!
    OMG thankyou sooooo much everything works now ^^ thanks again

Just Joined!
    um, Its not really a problem, but can you convert Games meant for Winblows for Ubuntu? I have Jedi Knight, Jedi Academy, and I was wondering if i could run it on Ubuntu. Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast