Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, My question is this: how can i install a program in Linux Ubuntu? I'm a newbie and have always worked with Windows. For example i have a program Airsnort ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Install programs in Linux (Ubuntu) !?...

Hello,

My question is this: how can i install a program in Linux Ubuntu?
    I'm a newbie and have always worked with Windows.
    For example i have a program Airsnort (Airsnort-0.2.7e.tar.gz) how
    can i install this so that i can use it?

Can someone please tell me in staps how to do that.

Thanks in advance!!

Re

This is very simple. Ubuntu is Debian based so it uses apt-get. You can use this command:

sudo apt-get -y install airsnort in your Terminal

or you can download programs with Synaptic Package manager. Just launch it: Its in System > the other thing, not the Preferences > Synaptic package manager.

In the program go to Preferences > Repositories or Preferences > Sources (I use Slovak languages, dont know english translations) and make sure that all boxes are checked in there on the first card (community maintained etc.).

Then just refresh in programme with button on the left, search for Airsnort, use right click on it and choose it to be installed. Then press apply, and the programe will be installed . If any problems just write it here

EDIT: One more thing, this program might not have the GUI (graphical user interface), so it can only work in Terminal. Then open the terminal and type "man airsnort" wothout the "" to see how it works and what commands you have to use to use it

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspacho
    This is very simple. Ubuntu is Debian based so it uses apt-get. You can use this command:

sudo apt-get -y install --force-yes Airsnort
    Not quite. The -y and --force-yes are 2 very dangerous options. You should never use them, except in situations were you positively know what you are doing.

From apt-get manual :
    --force-yes
    Force yes; This is a dangerous option that will cause apt to continue without prompting if it is doing something
    potentially harmful. It should not be used except in very special situations. Using force-yes can potentially destroy
    your system!
    As for installing anything, check out this link :
    http://www.monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Re

Sorry corrected, still learning. Im sorry once more

Quote Originally Posted by Gaspacho
    Sorry corrected, still learning. Im sorry once more
    No problem at all.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    OK thanks for all the fast replys!

I can't try it at this time i'm at school.
    But after it's finished, how can i start that program? It's not that easy as in Windows right? haha

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Is is true that I need to have Chipset prism2 drivers for programs like Airsnort or Aircrack?. I want to try them out because i wanne see if i'm a little secured or not.

But if I need a Wireless card with Prism2 chipset it has no use to try to install those programs.

Thanks in advance,