I have Dapper on a pretty well-equipped Toshiba, and it's running reasonably well. I've been able to get help with nearly all of the issues I've found, so I have no doubt that resolution exists for this one as well. Here's what's going on: my network adapter on this laptop works fine under windows. Dapper is installed on a USB connected hard drive. The network connection is fine for some period of time, never the same period of time twice in a row. Suddenly and without warning it disconnects. I first notice it when I get a dialog box that gaim has disconnected and asks me if I want to reconnect or cancel. the networking restart command doesn't solve it, but a reboot does. I was getting somewhere with a helper on the Ubuntu forums but I think the guy hasn't been able to get back with me and the thead is going to get buried.

this is the output from the lspci command, regarding the "wired" ethernet controller:

0000:02:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

this is the output from lsmod | grep 8139:

8139cp 22528 0
8139too 26880 0
mii 5888 2 8139cp,8139too

The person who was helping me suggested that I probably need a newer driver for the nic, which makes sense to me. But I have not tried to install drivers for this toy yet in the Linux end of it. Using the information here, which I think is for the chipset of the nic, can someone help me obtain the right driver and install it?

Thanks so much in advance.