Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am completely new to linux as of 48 hours ago (give or take an hour ) so am fairly unfarmiliar with it. Installed ubuntu and beryl with no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Boot Manager Help (Grub)

Hi,

I am completely new to linux as of 48 hours ago (give or take an hour ) so am fairly unfarmiliar with it. Installed ubuntu and beryl with no problems, but vista seemed to not want to start. After a number of formats/reinstalls (and other tweaks/playing with both os's) I managed to get both running great. My only issue now is more of a cosmetic one.

I installed a boot manager GAG 47, which is great but I no longer need/want to be prompted once I select ubuntu from there. In addition I don't think the vista entry on that boot manager is valid. (I had vista installed, then installed ubuntu, and then because vista wouldn't load and the vista cd wouldn't get to the repair menu I formatted the vista partition and reinstalled it completely)

So my questions are:
    1. how can i remove an entry on the grub bootscreen?
    2. how can i bypass the bootscreen and have ubuntu start after I select it with gag 47?

Thanks in advance!
    And oh yeah... I am addicted to ubuntu now! Anyone have a good beginner to intermediate linux guide they can point me to?

hi mrwesth,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

which boot loader are you using right now? GAG 47 or GRUB?
    which entry do you want to remove from GRUB menu?

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Wow, great response time!

I am currently using GAG 47, but when I select ubuntu it then goes to the grub bootscreen. (windows went to its bootscreen aswell but i just removed the ubuntu option there and it loads str8 to vista now.)
    I want to remove the windows vista/longhorn option because I think it may be invalid (since it was there before I reinstalled vista) and I don't want to run the risk of selecting it by mistake and having it effect vista. After removing that I want to have ubuntu load directly.

you have to edit menu.lst file.
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    look for line "timeout <some_value>" and set its value to zero.
    Code:
    timeout 0
    you can delete Vista entry too but if you set timeout value to 0, GRUB menu wont appear on selecting Ubuntu in GAG 47 and default OS in GRUB will boot up.

Casper

Just Joined!
    It worked beautifully on both accounts. I was able to remove the windows entry (restarted to check) and then to have it load directly.

Thanks Casper!

Time to go play around and see what else I can figure out! I'm like a kid with a new toy right now!

you are Welcome mrwesth !
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwesth
    I am addicted to ubuntu now! Anyone have a good beginner to intermediate linux guide they can point me to?
    check this link to explore Ubuntu.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    you are Welcome mrwesth !
    check this link to explore Ubuntu a bit more.....

Casper
    Looks great! Google has been a great friend as well