Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey dudes and dudettes, Well I shall begin with the hardware I attempted to install on. I decided to install on my Qosmio G10 -133 laptop. Which runs an Pentium ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help Required. Please.

Hey dudes and dudettes,

Well I shall begin with the hardware I attempted to install on. I decided to install on my Qosmio G10 -133 laptop. Which runs an Pentium M 1.7ghz, 512mb ddr 2 ram, geforce go 6600 128mb and a 80gb toshiba harddrive.

Now I booted the ubuntu distro, was given all the options. Run from CD, simple install, advance install etc etc.

I chose simple install, when it came to harddrive partitioning I told it to erase the whole drive. Which had XP Media Centre Edition on it.

It seemed to install fine. Told me to remove my disk and it would reboot.

But as soon as it reboots it gives me a 'GRUB harddrive error'. There is no error code. Just that line. I cant do anything. Just turn the laptop off.

Ive even tried to install it while running it in live cd mode, let it partion space on my c drive and the same thing happened. When I rebooted it gave me the same error and I couldnt even boot into windows.

Anyone have any ideas. I was really keen on trying out ubuntu.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R.

Put the live CD back in and select the Boot from hard drive option. Then open up a terminal window and enter:
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/hda
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

Quote Originally Posted by lunchboxsa
    But as soon as it reboots it gives me a 'GRUB harddrive error'. There is no error code. Just that line. I cant do anything. Just turn the laptop off.
    Ive even tried to install it while running it in live cd mode, let it partion space on my c drive and the same thing happened. When I rebooted it gave me the same error and I couldnt even boot into windows.
    something wrong in grub configuration file.
    boot up from LiveCD. post the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst file and output of 'sudo fdisk -l' command.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Sup guys,

Thanks for the help. It's working now. I just found one of my old laptop harddrives laying around an decided to attempt and install on it.

Works like a charm and I can still boot into my windows harddrive just fine.

Thanks again for trying to help.
    Muchly appreciate it.

R.