Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Set it to master and slave since cable select is the cowards way out, made for those that don't understand what they're doing. The rest looks fine. Have a fun!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Set it to master and slave since cable select is the cowards way out, made for those that don't understand what they're doing. The rest looks fine. Have a fun!

Just Joined!
    I am just trying to picture how...and what menu comes up to choose the OS. I don't get how it will just be there magically after this...

i would suggest you not to mess with Windows Harddisk or its MBR. unplug Windows Harddisk during Ubuntu Installation. plug-in Other Harddisk as Primary Master and install Ubuntu in it.
    its very easy to setup dual boot later on. Windows Harddisk will be intact in this way and its best method to set up dual boot IMO.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Wai, so you think after I format the master with windows, unplug it, throw another harddrive in there as a master, boot ubuntu and then install it on the slave, then after, plug in the windows HD and....let her rip?

i am not getting it. why do you want to Format Windows disk? aren't you planning to install Ubuntu in other Harddisk (Slave Drive)?

Just Joined!
    Right now, I have the 180 gig with windows, I'm about to wipe it clean and start over due to viruses, etc. I want to install ubuntu on a slave drive, so I can dual boot it after I have both plugged in. I thought I would jsut reformat like normal, stick the slave in, boot ubuntu, install that on there, then..somehow it kinda works?

it will work, but problem is, Ubuntu installer will install GRUB in MBR of Primary Master disk (windows disk in your case). if anything goes wrong with Ubuntu, you wont be able to boot up Windows. if you anything goes wrong with windows and you re-install Windows later on, its installer will remove GRUB. Ubuntu will not boot up after that and you will have to re-install GRUB again.

so, best way is, unplug Windows Harddisk during Ubuntu installation and add an entry of windows in Ubuntu GRUB after installation. both disks will be bootable separately and if any thing wrong with any disk, other disk will be bootable.

Just Joined!
    I have an old xbox harddrive 10 gig lying around, can I just throw it in there while it installs ubuntu? and does Ubuntu auto install GRUB? So when I start it, I get the 2 options?

I have an old xbox harddrive 10 gig lying around, can I just throw it in there while it installs ubuntu? and does Ubuntu auto install GRUB?
    Ubuntu will install its GRUB in MBR of Primary Master disk. plug-in that disk as PM.
    So when I start it, I get the 2 options?
    No. as i mentioned earlier, you have to edit GRUB after installation to add an entry of Windows. its easy.

Just Joined!
    Wait, so Ubuntu installs GRUB onto the MBR of the PM.....but I odn't have the windows one in, just a decoy so the setting don't get messed up. How does that worK?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast