Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
that will work fine... go ahead and install Ubuntu.......
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

that will work fine... go ahead and install Ubuntu....
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I still don't understand. You said GRUB is installed on the MBR of the Primary Master drive. Yet you tell me to remove the master drive so the Windows settings don't get messed up. What will happen if I format with Windows, Stick in slave, stick in decoy as PM, then install ubuntu on slave, then stick windows back in?

hmmm.......

* plug-in Windows Harddisk as Primary Master. install Windows in it.
    * un-plug Windows Harddisk. plug-in Other Harddisk as Primary Master. install Ubuntu.
    * after Ubuntu Installation, keep Ubuntu harddisk plugged in as Primary Master, plug-in Windows Harddisk as Slave. edit GRUB configuration files of Ubuntu to setup dual boot.

Just Joined!
    So...how do I edit the GRUB

i have to check partition structure of your harddisks first.
    install Windows and Ubuntu. plug-in Windows disk as slave and boot up Ubuntu.
    open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    post output here.
    as i mentioned earlier, its easy to setup dual boot and you will have to edit only two files in Ubuntu.

daf
    Just Joined!

Exclamation duel boot

Hi, I have been following this thread as I am doing exactly the same as nintendo 9713.
    have installed xp on one drive and ubuntu on another drive,
    the slave drive seems to take control
    if ubuntu drive is slave -ubuntu boots up (with xp drive connected)
    xp will only boot if ubuntu drive is disconnected
    does ubuntu remember if it has been installed when connected as master or slave?
    ide cable connection makes no difference

I,m confused over the last hour we have tried every combiation on the two drives sometimes xp boots up, then ubuntu when the drive with ubuntu is set as master and connected on its own --error boot message.
    Daf

plugin both Hard disks in such way that Ubuntu boot up at startup. open terminal and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    sudo less /boot/grub/menu.lst
    post output here.

Just Joined!
    Well, today's the big day. Right now I'm at school and when I get home I will start formatting the Windows disk. My last question is, I have this crappy 3 GB Hard Drive. Can I use that as the..."decoy" for the installation of Ubuntu? And also, after I install Ubuntu on the slave, how do I go into Ubuntu to edit the GRUB? If Windows is the Master, won't it boot into that rather than Ubuntu? Thanks for all the help

3GB space for Ubuntu is OK but you wont be able to install more packages coz of less disk space.
    after I install Ubuntu on the slave, how do I go into Ubuntu to edit the GRUB?
    as i mentioned earlier, i can't post correct code unless i check partition structure of your harddisks. check post #27, execute those commands and post output here.
    If Windows is the Master, won't it boot into that rather than Ubuntu?
    if you un-plug Windows Harddisk during Ubuntu installation, Windows Harddisk will boot up without any problem. this is whatl i am sugessting you from my first post. un-plug windows harddisk during Ubuntu installation to keep it intact. if anything goes wrong during Ubuntu installation or after that, Windows Harddisk will be bootable.

Casper

Just Joined!
    All this time, I've been thinkingthat you use another HD to substitute for the windows while Ubuntu installs.. So jsut keep it unplugged? Don't stick a "master" in it, just leave the IDE ribbon 'free' then install Ubuntu, plug it back in, and viola?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast