Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    SuperMod (Back again) devils casper's Avatar

yes. just leave the IDE ribbon free and plug it back after Ubuntu Installation.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Smile dual boot

ok finally got it to work

in terminal typed
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    added this at end

title Windows XP
    root (hd1,0)
    makeactive
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader +1

save and reboot when rebooting press ESC for menu
    hope this works it did for us
    DAF
    just thought of something,( I asked this yesterday)does it make any difference if ubuntu is installed when set to master or slave, our drive was set to install ubuntu in slave and would only boot up on its own when connected as a slave . XP booted up as master or slave.?

Well Done !
    thats the correct code for dual boot setup. didn't you edit device.map file too?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by daf
    ust thought of something,( I asked this yesterday)does it make any difference if ubuntu is installed when set to master or slave, our drive was set to install ubuntu in slave and would only boot up on its own when connected as a slave . XP booted up as master or slave.?
    Linux Installer assigns device name to partitions according to their connections.
    * /dev/hda - Primary Channel, master
    * /dev/hdb - Primary Channel,slave
    * /dev/hdc - Secondary Channel,master
    * /dev/hdd - Secondary Channel,slave
    now if you install Linux while disk plugged in as Primary Master, installer will configure GRUB according to that only. if you plug disk in other channel, device names will be changed and GRUB will refuse to work.
    Last edited by devils casper; 03-06-2007 at 10:10 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I talked to a friend earlier. He said it really doesn't matter if you let GRUB install stuff on the MBR. He did it and now it boots into Windows, and if he wants linux, he hits F12. No GRUB file editing necessary. Would it work?

i can't repeat same thing again n again. if your friend said that it worked for him. go ahead. Hit F12, change boot order and boot up any OS.