Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Well, I have a 180 gig I want to use for Windows and then I have a 120 gig I have lying around I want ubuntu on. I want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu/Windows, Seperate HD

Well, I have a 180 gig I want to use for Windows and then I have a 120 gig I have lying around I want ubuntu on. I want to have dual bootable. Do I still set them as master and slave? And how would I go about installing Ubuntu on the second harddrive so I can boot into that? Thanks for anyhelp.

Yes, master and slave as normal.

You would go about the install as you would any other install with partitioning. The installation application will detect both HDs and you can set up Ubuntu on whichever HD you want. Just add the swap space on that HD and you should be good. Then i'd format the HD you want Windows on if there are any partitions. It's pretty simple, you'll see.
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

The installer takes care of everything, partitioning, booting (It installs Grub, which owns, and lets you boot between Windows and Ubuntu)
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I advise installing Windows first, though, since it usually overwrites the MBR. I've never had problems chain-loading into NTLoader through GRUB. Also, I *think* you need to have Windows on the primary drive, but I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by IfritZero
    I advise installing Windows first, though, since it usually overwrites the MBR. I've never had problems chain-loading into NTLoader through GRUB. Also, I *think* you need to have Windows on the primary drive, but I'm not sure.

Yes, install Windows first. And i've usually put Windows on a Primary Partition, it seems to be the default type of partition. With Linux it doesn't matter if it's a Primary or Logical Partition, i've used both and haven't noticed a difference.
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

Just Joined!
    What I understood from that was install windows with both harddrives in, then boot ubuntu and select the second drive. Then what after? How do I control which it boots into nad how to swap between them? Thanks for the help.

When you boot you will have a menu that let you choose the OS you want
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Just Joined!
    So..its really that easy? I'm going to reformat my 1st HD with windows, install second one, then format it with ubuntu. I have stuff on the secondary right now but I don't need it. I want to completely erase it and put ubuntu on it. Then its as easy as turning on the computer and choosing the OS? Again, thanks for the help.

Just Joined!
    It should be. I've found Ubuntu's installer to be far, far, far more intuitive than the Windows XP installer down to Windows 98. It can take care of itself while you surf the web off the live CD. At least, that's what I end up doing. =D

Just Joined!
    So, like I said previously, all I'm doing is installign windows xp on the master drive. THen plug in a slave drive, (should I set it master and slave or Cable Select and add the larger one at the end of the ribbon cable) boot ubuntu and install it on the 2nd harddrive? And automatically, it gives me the option to boot Windows or Ubuntu? Again thanks for the help, I really hope to get this up and running soon

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast