Hey all.

Got a friend trying to install Kubuntu (as dual-boot) on his HP laptop. Specs are: AMD Turion 64X2 1.6GHz CPU, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD with 51Gb free.

When we booted from the LiveCD the start-up screen came up with the logo and the options 'Start or install Kubuntu', 'Start Kubuntu in safe graphics' and that. When we selected install it loads the Kernel fine and then went to the loading screen (bouncing blue block in the loading bar etc.). Next the screen went black for a few seconds then the following error popped up:

Code:
firmware_helper[4865]:main:error loading '/lib/firmware/bcm43xx_microcode5.fw' for device '/class/firmware/0000:03:00.0' with driver 'bcm43xx'
[17179657.5280001] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed.
firmware_helper[4909]: main: error loading '/lib/firmware/bcm43xx_microcode5.fw' for device '/class/firmware/0000:03:00.0' with driver 'bcm43xx'
[17179657.5440001] bcm43xx: Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available or load failed.
*Activating swap...                                                                                      [ ok ]
mount: Function not implemented
*Checking file systems...                                                                                [ ok ]
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2066)
I know bcm43xx is a system driver for the laptop's Broadcom 802.11g card, and it is shown as running in system information on Windows. I guess Linux looks for the driver too but can't find it. Why would this crash the installation? Why is the installer looking for files in Linux directories (like /lib/firmware) when it's not even installed?? I've found this problem elsewhere, but all involve suggestions where you actually need Linux installed to fix the problem!

Any help appreciated.

4th