Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, well first of all let me say that this is my first post and I have the feeling that it's going to be a long one. I'm new to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help with installing GRUB

Hi,

well first of all let me say that this is my first post and I have the feeling that it's going to be a long one. I'm new to Linux (Ubuntu 6.10) and I wanted to give it a shot but I encountered several problems...
    I know there are several posts about installing GRUB but none of them are solving my problem. Trust me i tried them all.

Let me first explain the "layout" of my computer.
    I have 3 physical harddrives in my computer.

HD1 is divided to two logical partitions: C,D.
    C - contains my primary WindowsXP
    D - contains just other files (photos, mp3s, documents, etc)

HD2 is one big partition:
    E - contains games, photos, mp3s, documents...

HD3 is divided to two logical partitions: H, I
    H - contains my backup WinXP (in case of problems with my primary XP I want to be able to boot and work)
    I - should contain my Ubuntu 6.10

So what exactly is my problem? The problem is that I can't seem to get GRUB installed on the proper place. When I install it on MBR then during booting I get the ERROR 21 and can't seem to do anything about it. I can't even fix the MBR with fixboot command in Windows recovery console. I issue the fixboot command, Windows tell me that the MBR is now placed on C: but after restart I still get the GRUB Error 21. So I'm stuck and the only solution is formating the C: and reinstalling windows I've already done it twice in the last 2 days.
    So why am I getting the Error 21 (which I understand is that the boot HDD can't be found) when I install GRUB to MBR?

Then I tried to install GRUB on (hd2) - which as far as I can understand should be the 3rd HD and I wrote it in the GRUB installation options. But even then, when I boot from the 3rd HD it still boots to my backup XP and I can't boot to Linux. Can anyone tell me (based on the layout of my comp) where exactly should I install GRUB to have it accessible when I boot from HD3? Perhaps (hd2) is not enough, I'm not sure. It might be something like hd2,5, I'm not sure. Should it be installed on the 1st partition of 3rd HD? Or on the partition where my Linux resides?
    Also I would be very glad if anyone can explain me why am I getting the Error 21 when I install GRUB to MBR?

My last question/doubt is about reinstalling GRUB only. On several sites I found some instructions how to install GRUB without reinstalling the whole system (for example here http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-24113.html). The instructions say that I must boot from LiveCD and start issuing various commands. sn't make sense to me.

Particularly the command "find /boot/grub/stage1" in my opinion can't be issued because I am working in the OS which is on the CD. And when I browse through the file system I can't see any other HDs or devices. So how can I issue the command for finding anything? Not even starting GRUB and typing root(hd0,3) (as written in instrucions) can't be performed because as I said the HDs are basically "not there". The OS on LiveCD just can't see them.
    I'm sure I am missing something, just please tell me what.

Btw, the only way I was able to install Linux is when I unplugged my frist two HDs and then installed LInux on HD3 (or HD1 at that time because no other HD was present), installed GRUB on (hd0) and it worked like a charm. During boot I had the option to start either Ubuntu or my WinXP.
    In Linux itself I didn't have any serious problems. I was able to install my drivers, codecs, applications, even beryl .

You may wonder why am I simply not using the HD3 to work with both Linux and WinXP? Well, the problem is simple - my HD3 is a Maxtor and it already has some bad sectors but I can't seem to get rid of them. So I'm only keeping it as a test HD - for Linux, backup XP and so on...But I don't want to rely on it because I already lost some data because of the bad sectors.

I think this is all...I'm really sorry about this long post and I would really appreciate if some of you experienced people could help me.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

-=ferus=-

hi merran,

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

in most cases GRUB works fine only if you install it in MBR of Harddisk having Linux Installed.
    you have installed Ubuntu in HD3 and its working fine. right? you can configure GRUB to boot up Windows XP installed in your first harddisk.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    [QUOTE= you have installed Ubuntu in HD3 and its working fine. right? you can configure GRUB to boot up Windows XP installed in your first harddisk.
    [/QUOTE]

Well, in a way. As I said, I was only able to install Linux when I unplugged the first two HDs. I installed Linux and it worked, yes. But when I plug the 2 HDs in again then GRUB gets confused and Ubunu won't start. I'm guessing because the HD3 is not hd0 anymore (after I plug in the 2 HDs)?
    When I boot from HD3 (with all 3 HDs plugged in) then I can only boot to my backup WinXP. When I choose Ubuntu in GRUB my comp freezes.

PS: thanks for the welcome and your help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    But when I plug the 2 HDs in again then GRUB gets confused and Ubunu won't start. I'm guessing because the HD3 is not hd0 anymore (after I plug in the 2 HDs)?
    Ubuntu harddisk must be plugged in as Primary Master.
    When I boot from HD3 (with all 3 HDs plugged in) then I can only boot to my backup WinXP. When I choose Ubuntu in GRUB my comp freezes.
    thats weird. if Windows XP installed in the same Harddisk booting up properly then Ubuntu should boot up also. does it throw any error message?

Plug-in Ubuntu Harddisk as Primary Master and Windows Harddisk ( HD1) as Secondary (slave). check if Ubuntu boots up properly. its very easy to configure GRUB and add an entry of Windows installed in other Harddisk.

Casper

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    Ubuntu harddisk must be plugged in as Primary Master.

thats weird. if Windows XP installed in the same Harddisk booting up properly then Ubuntu should boot up also. does it throw any error message?

Plug-in Ubuntu Harddisk as Primary Master and Windows Harddisk ( HD1) as Secondary (slave). check if Ubuntu boots up properly. its very easy to configure GRUB and add an entry of Windows installed in other Harddisk.
    WinXP on HD3 are booting fine, no problems there. Ubuntu just freezes up after I select it. I get the Ubutnu loading screen and maybe one milimeter of the progress bar. But it doesn't continue loading

My disks are plugged in the following way:

HD1 - Third SATA master
    HD2 - Fourth SATA master
    HD3 - (Ubuntu) First SATA master

Yes, I forgot to tell that I have SATA disks...does it change anything?

Ubuntu is supporting your ChipSet and SATA disk support is not the problem.
    is Ubuntu booting properly after un-plugging all other disks?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    Ubuntu is supporting your ChipSet and SATA disk support is not the problem.
    is Ubuntu booting properly after un-plugging all other disks?
    Yes, when I unplug the other disks it boots without problem. I can select either Ubuntu or my backup XP in GRUB.

But I want to be able to switch between my primary XP and Ubuntu without plugging the HDs on and off all the time.

But I want to be able to switch between my primary XP and Ubuntu without plugging the HDs on and off all the time.
    thats what i am trying to do but something goes wrong after plugging in second disk. its weird. Windows booting up but Ubuntu.....
    plug-in only two disks. Ubuntu as First Master and Windows as Second Master. try different combinations untill Ubuntu Boots properly.

Just Joined!
    I will try that. Unfortunately, I'm at work right now so it will have to wait until tomorrow.
    I will try to swap my disks to various combinations...
    Maybe one more question:

how can I reinstall GRUB to a different hdd? As I wrote in my first post when I boot from the LiveCD I can't work with my computer. The HDs are invisible and any cnofigs/lists are basically default settings of LiveCD OS and can't be changed.
    I want to try to install grub to (hd2) to see if it helps.

how can I reinstall GRUB to a different hdd? I want to try to install grub to (hd2) to see if it helps
    GRUB is already installed in HD2. doesn't GRUB appear on booting up from it?
    As I wrote in my first post when I boot from the LiveCD I can't work with my computer. The HDs are invisible and any cnofigs/lists are basically default settings of LiveCD OS and can't be changed.
    you have to mount Ubuntu partitions first. execute 'chroot' command on mounted partition and reinstall grub after that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast