Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All have a linux Debian/Sarge i3r5 setup running KDE GUI Am now wanting to look at other Linux Systems and was wondering what would be the advantages of Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

To Ubuntu or not to Ubuntu

Hi All

have a linux Debian/Sarge i3r5 setup running KDE GUI Am now wanting to look at other Linux Systems and was wondering what would be the advantages of Ubuntu over Debian Sarge setup I'm Currently using on both desktop and laptop? Desktop and laptop both suffer from sound problems but other than that work perfect. On the laptop I use dual boot for XP as well as linux and would like to see the NTFS drive but am unble to get it working. So will I be able to do this and solve Sound problems with Ubuntu 6.10?? what othe advantages wil I have?

regards
    Andrew

PS
    Don't just post the its better answer as thats just C**P

You won't see any difference in sound or NTFS support. The biggest difference is that Ubuntu will be more up-to-date than Sarge, and Ubuntu keeps a pretty regular release schedule. You'll also see a few configuration or admin GUI tools that are Ubuntu-specific. If you're already comfortable with the tools in Debian, then simply moving to Etch will make your system about as current as most others, without having to re-install everything.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelmo
    You won't see any difference in sound or NTFS support. The biggest difference is that Ubuntu will be more up-to-date than Sarge, and Ubuntu keeps a pretty regular release schedule. You'll also see a few configuration or admin GUI tools that are Ubuntu-specific. If you're already comfortable with the tools in Debian, then simply moving to Etch will make your system about as current as most others, without having to re-install everything.

So how do I move to etch??? without a reinstallation..

regards Andrew

ps
    thank you for your reply

If you want to go that route, just edit /etc/apt/sources.list (as root) to replace each occurrence of "sarge" with "etch".

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelmo
    If you want to go that route, just edit /etc/apt/sources.list (as root) to replace each occurrence of "sarge" with "etch".

can I edit synaptic to do this as that is installed for package and application installation??

agaian thank you for your help.

regards
    Andrew

Yes, if you prefer. It'll make those changes to the same file (/etc/apt/sources.list).