Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a place to post this so that all will see it? It is a general Linux question. I need a device, a program or a utility that will ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hard drive mirror or duplication.

Is there a place to post this so that all will see it?

It is a general Linux question.

I need a device, a program or a utility that will clone an Linux hard drive exactly. I want to have two separate hard drives exactly.

It is a stand alone machine. No dual boot or any windows / mac stuff on it.

I can do this with a little floppy disk app from Western digital on any two drives as long as one is a Western Digital drive and is a Fat 32 / or XP file set up ( windows sys. ).

The floppy will not work at all in my Ubuntu 6.06 computer even though both hard drives are WD's.

This is how I protect my systems from lightning, fires, floods and my mistakes. ( biggest problem )

I want 2 hard drives laying side by side on my desk and I can use either one and it will be exactly the same as the other.

I do this once a week at least with my window boxes and it saves my bacon every so often.

I am new to Linux / Ubuntu and I am not a geek, just a 63 year old who is trying to learn Linux.
    I tried http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page and I could not make any sense of it, even tried the 'burn to Cd' option. I have no clue how to make it go or if I even got all the right stuff downloaded.

Is there a simple application, device, program that will do this for Linux machines like the WD app does for my Windows machine. I just boot that with the floppy in "A" and it boots to the app and a few clicks has it making a perfect mirror of the target drive onto the back up drive. Takes about 1 hour for 14 GIG's of info on 40 GIG hard drives.

Can anyone help or even tell me where to post this for maximum exposure to all that use Linux?

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Here are the options that I'm aware of:

Linux options

PartImage
    Ghost4Linux

Windows options

TrueImage
    Norton Ghost
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I appoligised to 'ozar Super Moderator', for the double post.

I wonder why there is no place for questions that apply to all linux users of any flavor?

I have looked at those links but I will again.

I hope someone who has done this will someday see this post and tell me how they did it.

You can post this in either -

Miscellaneous

or

Peripherals and Hardware

Do you know the device names for the hard drives? Using the SystemRescueCD you can run GParted and copy the disk directly from one to the other. The trickiest part is just knowing your device names. Most of the options are laid out in a fairly intuitive way. If you are copying from the master Hard Drive on your primary IDE channel to the master on your secondary channel, you would be copying from /dev/hda to /dev/hdc.

Basically it works like this -
    • /dev/hda - Primary Channel, master
    • /dev/hdb - Primary Channel,slave
    • /dev/hdc - Secondary Channel,master
    • /dev/hdd - Secondary Channel,slave

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, Dragon43

If you want your thread moved to different forum, don't hesitate to PM a moderator, or you can just use the "report post" button in the lower-left corner of your original post to this thread.

oz
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    You can post this in either -

Miscellaneous

or

Peripherals and Hardware

Do you know the device names for the hard drives? Using the SystemRescueCD you can run GParted and copy the disk directly from one to the other. The trickiest part is just knowing your device names. Most of the options are laid out in a fairly intuitive way. If you are copying from the master Hard Drive on your primary IDE channel to the master on your secondary channel, you would be copying from /dev/hda to /dev/hdc.

Basically it works like this -
    • /dev/hda - Primary Channel, master
    • /dev/hdb - Primary Channel,slave
    • /dev/hdc - Secondary Channel,master
    • /dev/hdd - Secondary Channel,slave
    Tried 40 ways from Sunday.
    It wants some sort of 'video node' selection from a list, 'if unknown, scan' so I scan and just get more choices. ::; shakes head:::: I look for video nodes and have no clue.

What does it want? What do I enter?

This is with "GParted".

Is there a simpler app? My Western Digital one fits on a 1.44 floppy with room to spare.

Just Joined!
    An update:

I finally got a copy / clone made using the "Ubuntu" live CD and used the terminal on that to get the clone of my 41 Gig's drives done in 57 minutes by using this command.

I used {ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=1M} hda and hdc are the two physical places of my hard drives. 'a' is master on IDE 0 and 'c' is master on IDE 1.

I have the 'Rescue' CD now and the G4L CD and I will keep trying to get them to work for me also. Lots to learn and now that I have a good copy of my work to this point, I'm using the back-up or clone HD now with the original in a drawer, I can now mess things up without fearing I will lose it all.....

I will add this back up to the ones I do on my Win boxes on a regular basis.

Thanks for all the help, suggestions and patience you have extended to this new guy. I will be asking more questions you can be sure.

Thanks again.

Dragon43

Glad you got it sorted out, the first few bits you need to learn are always the hardest (or most alien at least) but it gets easier