Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently decided to setup a dual-boot Windows XP/ Linux on my home desktop PC. I'm a novicewhen it comes to Linux, i've never used it at home although i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Installing Ubuntu from hard disk. Possible?

I recently decided to setup a dual-boot Windows XP/ Linux on my home desktop PC. I'm a novicewhen it comes to Linux, i've never used it at home although i do use debian at my workplace (but only as an user i don't do any installing/configuration).At first i thought i'll try a debian-netinst install. So i reinstalled WinXP then i installed debian. However for some reason i couldn't get it to work as i wanted, it locks up when it starts downloading/installing extra packages from the internet even though it detects my internet connection (DHCP) and it works. Scanning the mirrors (i tried a couple) worked and also ping too. So i skipped the extra installs with apt and ended up with this:
    IDE Disk1 40GB
    Part1 ntfs 20GB WinXP
    Part2 ext3 ~12gb debian - working but minimal system
    Part3 swap 1gb
    Part4 remaining space FAT32

And i have a 320gb SATA drive split into 200gb/120gb for data storage. Dual-boot is working fine with GRUB. I browsed around on the internet, trying to find the right distro for me and i decided i'll try Ubuntu Live CD, to install it instead of debian. So i downloaded the ubuntu-6.10-desktop-i386.iso.
    However right now i am unable to burn and boot from cd for a couple of days and i was wondering if there is a way to boot the image from the hard disk?

Just Joined!

Wink

Well, i solved the problem meanwhile, because fortunately i got my optical drive back much sooner than expected. So i installed it from the live cd (Ubuntu 6.10), which was amazingly easy and confortable, i'm impressed. It went actually significantly faster than installing WinXP, and all my NTFS/FAT32 partitions were mounted easily during the installation.
    I can't wait to get home tonight and start "playing around" with it.
    However the geek in me is still interested in a hard-drive install option, i've heard that it's possible with some distros, so if anybody succesfully did it, i'd love to hear the details