Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need some serious help! i can not figure out how to set it up on my linux ubuntu 6.10. So if someone could reply to this forum or send ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

road runner cable internet

I need some serious help! i can not figure out how to set it up on my linux ubuntu 6.10. So if someone could reply to this forum or send me an email at dynosponsered@gmail.com. By the way i am completely new to linux I have always been a Windows user untill i got fed up with them. So i am trying linux if it does not work out i am probablly going to buy a mac.

^^^^ And what exactly is the problem?
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

Just Joined!

road runer

the problem is i have no idea what i am doing. I just need some instructions on how to set it up. I have my internet set up threw a router and then to my computer with linux on it. If someone can get me detailed instructions that would be awesome.

Just Joined!
    As you do in Windows, there are Network Settings in Linux also. There, just enter the proper settings and you are ready to surf the internet. By the way, how are you connecting the router to the PC? Ethernet or USB? Provide more details so that you get the help you require.

Just Joined!
    it is ethernet not the usb, and it wont let me access all of the settings. the main internet is connected to the router then to the my pc

Linux Newbie
    type
    Code:
    sudo network-admin
    This will bring up the network connections box
    you should see your wired network interface
    make sure there is a check in the box next to it, click [properties] put a check in the "enable this connection" box, set the connection to use dhcp, press [ok], wait for the system to finish what its doing, and your done.

You should be able to connect to the internet as long as your router is set to allow this pc to connect

If you are NOT able to connect, post the output of
    Code:
    lspci
    and
    Code:
    ifconfig

Just Joined!
    thanks! I took linux off my pc and put windows back on it today just because i need it for a school assignment and at some point this weekend it will be put back on I will let you know how that turns out.