Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've installed Beryl with the automatic install script. Everything boots up the same but after the Kubuntu load screen i get a black screen with grey, vertical lines coming from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Beryl Installed.. now blank screen with stripes

i've installed Beryl with the automatic install script. Everything boots up the same but after the Kubuntu load screen i get a black screen with grey, vertical lines coming from the bottom of the screen. When i type in my password i do hear the login sound. i have run 'apt-get remove beryl' and it did so with no problem. The problem still persists. The script installed Nvidia drivers which i did not have installed before. This is what i think is causing the problem. Any ideas? i am not sure what to do.
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

I am SuSE user and would use "sax2" if I get any display problems.
    Not sure if it is there on Kubuntu, give a try

execute this
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    select "vesa" vedio driver and accept all other default options. OR edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf file manually and set Driver value to "vesa" in Video Card section.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

i did that 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' to get things working again last night. Then i reinstalled Nvidia drivers manually. The same thing happen. So now i know for sure it is not Beryl causing the problem but the Nvidia drivers.

What is the difference between 'nv' and 'vesa'? How should i go about getting the best use out of my Nvidia Geforce FX Go5700 card? Try installing Nvidia drivers again, use 'nv' or use 'vesa'? i don't know much AT ALL about these things.
    Running Linux Since 2001

Hey which drivers are you installing. You need 3d drivers for beryl !!! If you dont have 3d drivers you get white screen with stripes.

Vesa is a generic driver and it works for almost all graphics cards ( it doesn't work for a few ATI cards though). 'nv' is generic driver for all types of nVidia Cards. check /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers folder. all drivers are stored there.
    install nVidia Driver specific for your card for best use.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Quote Originally Posted by jan1024188
    Hey which drivers are you installing. You need 3d drivers for beryl !!! If you dont have 3d drivers you get white screen with stripes.
    i do it through apt-get like this (all using sudo):
    Code:
    apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-kernel-common
    after that i type:
    nvidia-xconfig
    After doing all of this the "nvidia-xconfig" runs alright and there is an "[OK]" after each thing. When i restart i get the blank screen. Even after i reinstalled and just installed Nvidia drivers. i didn't install Beryl again yet. i will not until i get my Nvidia drivers going correctly. What drivers would be the 3D drivers you're talking about?
    Running Linux Since 2001