Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I tried dual booting Ubunto 6.10 on my computer, but for some reason whenver I try to boot it it goes to this screen saying my X-graphical server (or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Noob in Need: Ubunto won't boot

Hi, I tried dual booting Ubunto 6.10 on my computer, but for some reason whenver I try to boot it it goes to this screen saying my X-graphical server (or something like that) is not working and I can't do anything after that but restart my pc.

In case it helps, I had first tried installing Mandriva, and even thought that installed just fine it had this really weird problem where it would only randomly (and rarely) decide to boot Linux, the rest of the time it would just get stuck at the very begging of the boot screen. No idea why.

Any help at all would be really appreciated.

Just Joined!
    Sounds like you are just starting with Linux. I HATE to inform you this but BEFORE starting with Linux you need to read a few manuals and figure things out. A machine cant just randomly decide to boot Linux. It either boots Linux or it boots Windoze.
    I suggest you look around for the basics HOW Tos and read them then grab the FAQ on Ubunbu and read that in PDF format. Did you do a test run of the Live Ubuntu CD before you install it? What is your
    video card? No matter what the Linux zelots like to claim, you gotto make sure your hardware is supported by Linux BEFORE you try it. That's what the Live CDs are for.

Quote Originally Posted by zhinker
    Hi, I tried dual booting Ubunto 6.10 on my computer, but for some reason whenver I try to boot it it goes to this screen saying my X-graphical server (or something like that) is not working and I can't do anything after that but restart my pc.
    whenever screen goes blank, press Alt+Ctrl+F1. this will drop you at command line prompt. log in and execute 'startx'. post error message if any.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First