Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was working on fixing a laptop for a friend, and decided to install Ubuntu for him, because windows was acting up. Here are some of its basic specifications: Dell ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ubuntu edgy on dell inspiron laptop

I was working on fixing a laptop for a friend, and decided to install Ubuntu for him, because windows was acting up. Here are some of its basic specifications:

Dell Inspiron 1100
    2.0 GHz Celeron Processor
    256 MB RAM
    CD-R/DVD-ROM drive

This laptop will load the liveCD, however slowly because of its low memory, but when I try to install, it will begin to load the install program, but will stop after a couple minutes loading. Is this because of insufficient memory, or is the laptop itself incompatible with Ubuntu 6.10?

Quote Originally Posted by rasch15
    Is this because of insufficient memory, or is the laptop itself incompatible with Ubuntu 6.10?
    If that is the case, try the Ubuntu alternate CD instead of the desktop one. The alternate CD is designed to allow installation on machines with as low as 128 mb of RAM, while 256 mb of RAM is generally the recommended amount for the desktop CD.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

i wasn't able to get the alternate install cd yet, but i will later today. However, yesterday I got some Kubuntu dapper cds I had ordered, and I was able to install it. The liveCD worked fine, and installed, but when I booted the computer it wouldn't start properly. It restarted itself about 6 times before it even got to GRUB, and when it got to GRUB, it just said it was loading GRUB, for about an hour. Basically, I was wondering if it's a problem with the install, or if its the motherboard, because it did similar things when it tried to boot windows.