Find the answer to your Linux question:
Heres my situation guys... I have a Dell Dimension e521 and i have one SATA drive that came with the system and im currently running windows XP on that one. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Arrow boot up issue with Dapper Drake...

Heres my situation guys...

I have a Dell Dimension e521 and i have one SATA drive that came with the system and im currently running windows XP on that one.

I recently installed a PCI IDE adapter card in it so i can utilize my extra IDE Hard Drive, to get into these before i installed ubuntu i used OSL 2000 boot manager. It works fine, and i can get to the boot menu to allow me to select which os i want.

Since ive installed and partitioned ubuntu on my IDE Hard Drive (allready running windows XP MCE)i cannot access my Ubuntu partition through OSL 2000...However, it brings up the OSL 2000 boot menu and it shows i have a linux partition, when i select it it brings me to the Ubuntu GRUB boot menu and asks me do i want to boot from Ubuntu then the version number or Windows XP Media Center... and i select ubuntu and i get an error message...damn if i remember, but if need be i can copy it down and post it.

Now, i CAN access my ubuntu partition as long as i have my IDE hard drive set as my primary boot drive in my system BIOS. When i installed ubuntu, i followed Murphy's Law and unplugged my SATA drive running Windows MCE just incase i did something wrong during installation.

So my question is: How can i access Ubuntu without having to change settings in the BIOS each time i want to get into it?

I hope i was clear. let me know if im not.

Thank you much.

it sounds like a windows bootloader problem. When you installed linux on your ide drive, it wrote the grub to that hard drive (which is now your secondary hard drive) so your bios is selecting the bootloader from the primary hard drive (your windows drive which doesnt like linux). I really don't know how to rewrite grubs, but I installed ubuntu onto a second hard drive with windows installed on my first hard drive and it worked just fine without having to unplug it. I don't even see the windows bootloader. It goes straight to the grub

right, thats how it used to be for me. i used to be able to see the windows bootloader...but GRUB took over...

so i guess my question more or less is just how do i get my windows bootloader to recognise my ubuntu partition and allow me to boot from it?

thx for the reply cheesecake.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    im 99% sure that it's your just not going to be able to do it from the windows bootloader. From what I understand, windows just plainly does not recognize any OS that is not windows (thats why most duel boot tutorials will tell you to load linux after you load windows so that the grub will take the place of the windows bootloader.) Try reinstalling ubuntu with the sata hard drive plugged in and let grub replace the windows bootloader on the master boot record.

wooo hooo! way ahead of you cheesecake...i reinstalled ubuntu again only difference - i left my SATA drive plugged in and i put my IDE as my primary boot drive.

Ubuntu recognised the SATA drive and did everything for me...

i was thinking way too hard about installation...why was i so scared...

lesson - "Embrace the ease of ubuntu!"

thanks cheesecake!

anytime :drown: