Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone... ok I just downloaded ubuntu, burned the iso to disc, threw it in and restarted... ubuntu loaded up then, my monitor went into auto adjust mode and gave ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New user with display problems

Hi everyone... ok I just downloaded ubuntu, burned the iso to disc, threw it in and restarted... ubuntu loaded up then, my monitor went into auto adjust mode and gave me a error stating that it can't display the mode. no problem I noticed on the live cd menu there is a way to force it to a certian resolution... I rebooted and selected a compatible resolution... got into the live CD and it looks nice... i'd really like to see more... I went into the display settings and corrected my refresh rate, then double clicked on the install icon... now it's installed, but as soon as the gui loads it goes back to a mode that my monitor doesn't support... any idea how I can get it to go into a mode my monitor supports so I can learn a new OS? I guess this is my first learning experience with Linux.. I know computers fairly well but I know nothing about Linux. Thanks for any help.

hi snakebte65,

Welcome to the LinuxForum.

When GUI goes blank, press Alt+Ctrl+F1. this will drop you at command lin login prompt. log in and execute this
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    this command will ask you a lot of questions. accept default options. enter suppported HorizSync and VertiRefresh rates when prompted. Select supported resolutions and reboot machine.

Casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    It worked... thank you

you are Welcome snakebte65.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First