Find the answer to your Linux question:
can somebody explain to me if you delete something on linux. its not there no matter what you do to get it.its gone for good.so iam realy unsure if that ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

all linux distros

can somebody explain to me if you delete something on linux. its not there no matter what you do to get it.its gone for good.so iam realy unsure if that is true
    i know windows. when you delete something its still there.so how can linux be any diferent in that respect.of deleting an item.i know linux is a different file system but no matter.its down to the hardisk i say.cause the hardisk will still contain clusters and sectors and the rest of it.and iam unsure.if the binary on the hardisk would be there if linux is on it.iam just puzzled abit on that issue.thats all.

Depends. Some desktop environments such as gnome send it to the trash can before you get rid of it (permanently). However if you use the terminal (console) and remove something that way... it's gone for good (like deleting from the trash can).
    That's my two pence worth.

Chadders.

Use my themes... click here.

New to Linux Forums, or Linux in general? Start here.
    Get Debian (Etch) here.
    Registered Linux user #442544.

all operating systems delete files in almost same manner. Windows deletes file entry from File Allocation Table and Linux removes inodes. deleted file remains in the Harddisk until same space is re-written by other file or you perform Low Level Format or rewrite whole disk with null/zero. there are a few utilities available for File Recovery in Linux. one is developed by Lakshmipathi, our fellow Member in LinuxForums. here is its link.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

all linux distros

yes but what i mean also when you delete something. and goes to the trash bin and then you emty the trash can is it gone for good that way.of the hardisk.thats what i mean.

thanks

Reg1

What Casper said still applies. The binary data is still on the disk, but the OS has discarded any knowledge of what and where it is. It can then be overwritten (in whole or in part) by subsequent disk operations.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!

all distros

ok and thankyou very much for the info

thanks

Reg1