Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Kubuntu and I like it a lot. It was very easy finding how to allow log in as 'root' and making the changes but I have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

K/Ubuntu preferences

I am running Kubuntu and I like it a lot. It was very easy finding how to allow log in as 'root' and making the changes but I have a problem getting my preferences to be "sticky" when I log in as 'root'.

After logging in as 'user', I set the splash screen DESKTOP>>SPLASH, for REDMOND 2000 which uses Preview.png (notice the capital 'P') as the splash screen while loading the KDE desktop essentials during start-up. I set my mouse preference for double clicking to open a file and that also works fine.

When I log in as 'root' and try to set the same preferences, the system REFUSES to save them and I get the preview.png (notice - NO capital 'P') splash (which my OLD eyes can barely see) and no double clicking to open a file with the mouse. DESKTOP>>SPLASH displays the Preview.png picture but it is never used. MOUSE also displays double click to open file but IT never works.

I don't have much hair left to pull out so I hope someone can help.

TIA,
    Phil

Why are you logging in as root?

Read this:
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/permissions

There's never any reason to log in as root.

Just Joined!
    1./ This is MY computer. When I need to do a lot of ADMINISTRATIVE things to set up my Software Defined Radio programs, I WILL to do them as root and switch back to user when everything is working and operating the SDR is an everyday thing.

2./ If I was willing to have Wily (Emperor of the Universe) Gates dictate how I must do things, I would still be using Windoze.

3./ "It is not logical, Jim, that I be able to do something as a user and not be able to do it as root".

No need to respond like that. aysiu was just trying to help.

Logging in as root is a bad thing. Use sudo when you can - you should have no problem using sudo to get done what you need to.

Plus, if you're only using root to do admin things, why worry about screensavers?
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.