Find the answer to your Linux question:
i want to use my windows key to drop down the KDE menu... or anything. It's unused right now and it's a waisted button. i've been trying to search the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Using Mod4 (The Windows Key) Help?

i want to use my windows key to drop down the KDE menu... or anything. It's unused right now and it's a waisted button. i've been trying to search the forums but when i type 'windows key' in the search it cuts out key and only searches for 'windows'. Kind of weird.

Can anyone help me get my windows key working in Kubuntu 6.10? i try to map it in settings through the GUI but it doesn't want to except that. It asks me to use an 'alt' or 'ctrl' button with it.
    Running Linux Since 2001
    Registered Linux User #430868 - Since 91206

Check out this. Bam!
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln

The trouble with the Windows key in KDE is that it's regarded as a modifier key, the same way that Shift, Control and Alt are. That is, it doesn't do anything by itself--it just makes other keys behave differently. So unlike in Windows, you can't get the K menu to pop up by just hitting the Windows key.

I suppose you could use xev and xmodmap to re-define that key and thus get it to behave like a regular key (not a modifier key), but then you wouldn't be able to do Windows-key combinations. So that's a matter of priorities.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    find out keycode of Windows key using 'xev' command and map it.
    Win keycode is 115 in my KB.
    Code:
    xmodmap -e 'keycode 115=Menu'
    now open Control Center, ( press Alt+F2 and type kcontrol ) -- Regional & Accessibility -- KeyBoard Shorcuts -- look for Pop Up Launch Menu and set it to Windows key.

this setting will lost on logout/reboot. save mapping code in .kde/env folder
    Code:
    mkdir .kde/env
    vi .kde/env/keys.sh
    enter mapping code, save file and its set forever.
    i have mapped all Multimedia and Extra keys in this way.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First