Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
ok ive been trying to do this for awhile i looked and everything i cant figure out how to set an image in the background. I get the style with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fluxbox background help

ok ive been trying to do this for awhile i looked and everything i cant figure out how to set an image in the background. I get the style with the image and i get the style to work but not the image in the background. Can someone help me get this background and style to show up. tell me the command to get it working and how to make is stay. Tell me what i need and how to do it please id really appreciate it thanks.

Heres the theme i want

freshmeat.net: Project details for Matrix Reloaded Hackers Theme

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's the Fluxbox HowTo for setting backgrounds:

http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docbo...l/chap-bg.html

Here's a wiki entry explaining it further:

Howto set the background - Fluxbox-wiki

I use feh for allowing fbsetbg to set my backgrounds.
    oz

Just Joined!

explain please

can you explain it to me please cause i really dont understand it.

oz
    forum.guy
    There are several different ways to do it.

Did you run this yet, as instructed on the wiki page?

Code:
    fbsetbg -i
    If you don't have a capable background setting app installed, you'll need to install one. See the wiki page above regarding which apps can do it.

Once you have the proper app installed, you can add the following to your ~/.fluxbox/init file to set a background:

Code:
    session.screen0.rootCommand: fbsetbg -f ~/pathtobackgrounds/yourbackgroundfile.png
    The ~/.fluxbox/init file resides in your hidden /home/username/.fluxbox folder.
    oz

Just Joined!

dont understand

sorry i dont get it can you explain it alittle more please to switch to fluxbox directory isnt it

cd ./home/allan/./fluxbox

im not sure

and when im in the fluxbox directory do i just do fbestbg -i and itll set the background for me.

explain more please id appreciate it

oz
    forum.guy
    No, you have to run fbestbg -i from a terminal.

No, the proper directory would be more like:

Code:
    cd /home/allan/.fluxbox
    You need to add the command I mentioned in the post above to the init file.
    oz

Just Joined!

problems with setting a theme in fluxbox

ok i have a theme that i got from freshmeats.net. i moved the theme to my fluxbox backgrounds and when i do the command to set the background it doesnt want to set and i dont really understand why ive been to all the help sites and i still dont understand and ive also been im irc and they seem to want to transfer me to a site also. I just want someone to be able to help me one on one. now that im done complaining heres my problem

allan@Omega:~$ fbsetbg -i

feh is a nice wallpapersetter. You won't have any problems.

allan@Omega:~$ fbsetbg -i /home/allan/backgrounds

allan@Omega:~$ fbsetbg -i /home/allan/backgrounds/bipolar.png

allan@Omega:~$ fbsetbg -i /home/allan/backgrounds/bipolar.png

allan@Omega:~$

i dont get why it wont set the background heres the link to the site and the exact theme that i want here it is.

freshmeat.net: Project details for Bipolar

i dont get what i did wrong ive tried everything please tell me descriptively what i did wrong. Please sorry about the complaining just alittle frusterated

thanks

V

oz
    forum.guy
    $ fbsetbg -i only checks your system for the proper app for setting backgrounds.

According to the messages above, you have feh installed. That's what I use and it works great.

You can use the command I gave you above to set a background by adding the following code to your /home/username/.fluxbox/init file:

Code:
    session.screen0.rootCommand: fbsetbg -f ~/pathtobackgrounds/yourbackgroundfile.png
    ...but notice that you are using -i whereas you should be using -f to set the background.
    oz

Just Joined!

question

ok the only i dont understand is that part with the .Session.Root. i dont understand that part how would i add that to the init file i do

cd /home/allan./fluxbox/init

and then itll get me to the directory but then once i am at the directory how do iget it to stay and use it.like set the background

oz
    forum.guy
    You have to edit that file with a text editor such as nano, vim, gedit, kwrite, mousepad, scite, or whatever other text editor you have on your machine that you'd like to use. I use vim, but it's generally not easy for new users. Nano is on most systems by default and it's easier for most new users.

Edit the file adding the line above, save the file, exit out of the Xserver, then log back into X and your background should be there if you entered everything correctly and your paths are correct.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast