Find the answer to your Linux question:
After a quite successful install of Guitar Pro 5 (only one error message occured, nothing important i think) the program runs normally, except for one thing - sound doesn't work. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Guitar Pro 5 under Wine

After a quite successful install of Guitar Pro 5 (only one error message occured, nothing important i think) the program runs normally, except for one thing - sound doesn't work. the clip that is played along with splash screen works ok but when i play a song in GP there's no sound.

Has anyone managed to get this working and how? on wine homepage the guy says that pretty much everything works for him, so at least sound should work. and he used ubuntu 7.04. i'm using xubuntu 7.04 so there's no major difference.

help please

Just Joined!

use alsa

well, at first you need to be sure that you can run midi files, if your card doesn't support it, timidity might be in help

after that run winecfg choose audio, and select alsa

that is how it worked for me

Linux Guru
    Yes, you need a midi sequencer. If you don't have a hardware one, then you'll need timidity or fluidsynth.

I just launch it with

Code:
    $ timidity -iA
    Requested buffer size 32768, fragment size 8192
    ALSA pcm 'default' set buffer size 33868, period size 3760 bytes
    TiMidity starting in ALSA server mode
    Opening sequencer port: 128:0 128:1 128:2 128:3
    Now, open guitar pro in wine, open the midi configuration dialog using the options menu. There's a drop-down list that you can use to choose the midi port that the program will be using for output (it's on the top left, you can't miss it). If you open that list, you should see 4 timidity ports, pick one of those and it should work.

If it doesn't work, the timidity might need additional configuration, and that is distro-dependant.

Guitar pro works without a glitch at all as far as I can tell, but of course, you still need to setup your hardware, even if it's a virtual midi device.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It may also be a good idea to compile a new kernel to increase your system timer resolution to 1000hz. This imight not be necessary, but it increases perfomance and helps to prevent the system from hanging.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchunian View Post
    It may also be a good idea to compile a new kernel to increase your system timer resolution to 1000hz. This imight not be necessary, but it increases perfomance and helps to prevent the system from hanging.
    Is more correct to say that it -slightly- decrease performance (since the kernel have to attend you 1000 times per second), giving you in exchange a better response time (it's supposed to decrease latency, which might or might not be important depending on what are you doing).

For guitar pro, there's no need to have a lower latency. Lower latency is only important when you are mixing for multiple sources. For example, when you are mixing something in cubase, looping it to the output to hear it while dynamically mixing in real time over that from other source, for example your guitar connected to a line input or a midi keyboard.

For playback purposes, you don't need anything like that. I'ts like playing an mp3 in mplayer, i don't think that anyone cares about the latency in such cases.