Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello i am new to Linux and was hoping for some help. I have just dual booted my laptop with Ubuntu 7.04 that i downloaded from their site. i also ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problems running WoW in wine.

hello i am new to Linux and was hoping for some help.
    I have just dual booted my laptop with Ubuntu 7.04 that i downloaded from their site. i also read some tutorials about installing wine and wow and followed them. I haven't been able to get it to work.
    I have installed wow and it will run under wine but as soon as i login and it gets to the download section of the login, wow crashes and a lot of the time i have to restart the system because my mouse will not work.
    I did read the tutorial on these forums and i still have that problem.
    any help or suggestions would be great!

WoW has never run correctly on WINE because of lack of OpenGL and Direct3D support. Best thing to do is get Cedega by Transgaming. They constantly update it to be able to run at least the most popular WinBlows games on a nix system.

You can find it here: Cedega.com - Home of TransGaming's Cedega - Play Windows games on Linux

Just Joined!
    I have heard of the software that you are talking about the problem i have with that is the monthly subscription fee. Wine is free! I also have seen people that have gotten WoW to work well using Wine and that is my goal.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Don't get me wrong, you can run WoW in WINE, just not well and without lots of tweaking. Do a Google search and see what you can find on it. I know that it was a lot easier to get earlier versions of WoW running than now though. I have done it about a year ago but not since I managed to get a copy of Cedega.

Just Joined!
    WoW runs with wine really smooth for me. even better than Windows if i can say :P No problems at all. here's a snap.

Jmsmith, Whish version of wine are you using? I think you must of apply a wine patch, because win 0.9.45 have few errors & pugs therfore you'll crash alot if you try to run WoW. or maybe you just have to downgrade to wine 0.9.43 and it'll work. goodluck

Just Joined!
    Ok, i tried downgrading my wine and that sloved the problem of WoW crashing when it tries to load. I now get it to load and the graphics are trippy. i see the following.
    pic.jpg
    Any thoughts?
    thanks for your help up to this point!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmsmith View Post
    Ok, i tried downgrading my wine and that sloved the problem of WoW crashing when it tries to load. I now get it to load and the graphics are trippy. i see the following.
    pic.jpg
    Any thoughts?
    thanks for your help up to this point!
    Now i'd suggest you update to 0.9.46 It's out and running even more smoother for me! Go Wine HQ and check out depending on your distro how to get it.

Just Joined!
    hmm that error seems like the one ati/Amd users get:P
    I had the same myself but fixed it by adding some options to the registry

Take a look at this page
    Wow +wine

Just Joined!
    i have it all working perfectly. Using ubuntu gutsy right now, and latest WINE available. runs wow & steam & EA Games generals, really well