Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by gruven I have steam and half-life 2 running in vanilla wine, at 1680x1050 res, and just as fast as it was in vista. I have a Quad ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by gruven View Post
    I have steam and half-life 2 running in vanilla wine, at 1680x1050 res, and just as fast as it was in vista. I have a Quad Core with 8 GB ram, and an 8800GT. The video card could play a big role in the performance, and I am not running compiz.
    I think I may try it out again. I'm running Postal2 at the moment at 100% performance without any trouble. I'm natively running Enemy Territory:Quake Wars too and it's giving me some faith back in PC gaming so I think I may try Half Life again. Especially now we've passed Wine 1.0

If any of you guys are looking for a native game, check out ET:QW. It's only 10 here now to buy which is great value for the fun I'm having out of it. Plus if anyone gets it I get to play them online

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    I think I may try it out again. I'm running Postal2 at the moment at 100% performance without any trouble. I'm natively running Enemy Territory:Quake Wars too and it's giving me some faith back in PC gaming so I think I may try Half Life again. Especially now we've passed Wine 1.0

If any of you guys are looking for a native game, check out ET:QW. It's only 10 here now to buy which is great value for the fun I'm having out of it. Plus if anyone gets it I get to play them online
    When you run HL:2 in wine, make sure and turn off the in game community feature. If you are having loading problems, this will fix it.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Just Joined!
    @Dapper Dan

im using a BW launcher. but when i run it Direct Draw Error. it says that im using 16 color etc... and i have to change it to 256? how do i change that? sorry im just noob in linux. but im learning...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post

Oh man, i think ETQW is probably one of the best team based shooters i've ever played. I've loved ID since the original doom (i still can't get the bgmusic to E1M1 out of my head) and they're even better now that i've gotten so hooked on linux / open source. I got the same name on there, meton_magis if you ever see me say hi.

as a side note, i think console gaming sucks. I stopped liking it around the N64 playstation generation. It's too slow, and takes forever to load for my tastes, and i just dont think that the games are all that great. Plus i also like some of the indi games that PC's can offer. The graphics are usualy not as good, but it just feels like the games made by small teams seem to have alot more of a personal feel to them.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    this is another site wine craft

Just Joined!
    I also have the urge to play Starcraft 1, however I can't. I installed it with wine without problems, but when I launch the game, the entire screen turns gray and the computer locks up. I am unable soft boot the computer or unlock it any way other that using the power button to turn of the computer. Thanks for any help.

oz
    forum.guy
    Guys, this thread is approaching 5 years old so I'm going to close it, but please feel free to start fresh threads if you are having any problems with Linux.

Thank you.
    oz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2