Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
It's been a very long time since I attempted to run StarCraft under Wine. Last time I tried was a few years ago. Then, it was very jerky, the sound ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

StarCraft and Wine... wow!!

It's been a very long time since I attempted to run StarCraft under Wine. Last time I tried was a few years ago. Then, it was very jerky, the sound was out of sync and the window was too small. Recently, I've had the urge to play it again and decided what the hell...

Wine has really come a long way! I see no difference in how StarCraft performs under regular Wine as compared to natively with Windows, nor am I encountering any of the above mentioned problems!

Now I can play StarCraft without having to boot into XP!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Great , yes this project should be supported more by the linux community, because the only one advantage of windows is the number of games written for it, for me sine i switched completely to Linux i'm using wine to run some programs and i bought the cedega 2 weeks ago for better game support .

Regards.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Wine is really impressive these days. I wouldn't say the same about Cedega though. I think it's a scam. They charge a subscription for something that often times doesn't work as well as vanilla wine. It really only has the Point2Play GUI but that is sparse on feedback and so it's entirely possible to launch a game twice by accident. It seems that much of Cedega consists of hacks and patches for particular games which in my opinion is a flawed approach.

Anyway all props to Wine!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    It really only has the Point2Play GUI but that is sparse on feedback and so it's entirely possible to launch a game twice by accident. It seems that much of Cedega consists of hacks and patches for particular games which in my opinion is a flawed approach.
    I've had a Transgaming account for years. The main reason I resorted to regular Wine is because the Point2Play interface refused to allow me to install StarCraft where regular wine would. I'm going to start back playing Team Fortress and I've always loved Half Life. If I run into troubles there, I'm going to cancel my subscription.

I just built my new system last night...it's an Intel Quad core,2GB RAM and an nVidia 8600GT OC. So first thing I did was fire up Half Life 2 under Cedega. It performed pretty poorly, at least as slow as my P4 2.4GHz. Funnily enough Tremulous and Wolfenstein:ET are now turned up to full graphics settnigs at 1280x1024 and are flying along...on top of Compiz.

I too will give it another try. I think I'll game more on my new rig. But I also heard of a new Wine gui that looks very promising. I'll be experimenting a lot with the new hardware indeed...

Just Joined!
    I'm very interested to hear if you can get HL2 working on Wine.

Congrats on the new system; great componentry there!

Just Joined!
    Yeah, I too am impressed with the progress of wine. What do you guys think about Crossover and Parallels? I hear both are pretty good, but have never used them.

But I also heard of a new Wine gui that looks very promising.
    Really? I'll have to look into that one real soon.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    It's been a very long time since I attempted to run StarCraft under Wine. Last time I tried was a few years ago. Then, it was very jerky, the sound was out of sync and the window was too small. Recently, I've had the urge to play it again and decided what the hell...

Wine has really come a long way! I see no difference in how StarCraft performs under regular Wine as compared to natively with Windows, nor am I encountering any of the above mentioned problems!

Now I can play StarCraft without having to boot into XP!

can you teach me how to install starcraft and broodwar in debian?

Quote Originally Posted by openbox View Post
    can you teach me how to install starcraft and broodwar in debian?
    Hi openbox. It's really very easy. Of course you need to have wine installed. As su:
    Code:
    apt-get install wine
    Put the StarCraft CD into the beverage tray and mount it. (Something like...)
    Code:
    mount /media/cdrom
    Then, install StarCraft as regular user:
    Code:
    cd /media/cdrom && wine setup.exe
    Follow through the installation as you would in Windows. To launch the game:
    Code:
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Starcraft/ && wine StarCraft.exe
    You may have to tweak sound and such. To do so open winecfg:
    Code:
    winecfg
    Otherwise, StarCraft runs excellent under Wine!

My Life for Aiur!!

I just built my new system last night...it's an Intel Quad core,2GB RAM and an nVidia 8600GT OC. So first thing I did was fire up Half Life 2 under Cedega. It performed pretty poorly, at least as slow as my P4 2.4GHz. Funnily enough Tremulous and Wolfenstein:ET are now turned up to full graphics settnigs at 1280x1024 and are flying along...on top of Compiz.

I too will give it another try. I think I'll game more on my new rig. But I also heard of a new Wine gui that looks very promising. I'll be experimenting a lot with the new hardware indeed...
    I have steam and half-life 2 running in vanilla wine, at 1680x1050 res, and just as fast as it was in vista. I have a Quad Core with 8 GB ram, and an 8800GT. The video card could play a big role in the performance, and I am not running compiz.

Linux User #376741
    Code is Poetry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast