Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, after getting rid of Windows off my hard drive and converting to linux, I've found free, open source equivalents to all of my previous windows programs, except one. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Stubborn windows app

Hi all,

after getting rid of Windows off my hard drive and converting to linux, I've found free, open source equivalents to all of my previous windows programs, except one. This program, Visual Trading, I used to use for making live forex trades from a computer.

Unfortunately, this program is available for windows only and is closed source, so I have no choice but to run it under wine and hope it worked. Unfortunately, it did not. I've installed the latest wine (20040615) for Suse 9.1.

After successfully installing the program in linux using wine, I was hopeful that the actual program will work, but it didn't. The following is the error message that I'm given:
    zer0mass@linux:~> cd .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/VTrading/
    zer0mass@linux:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VTrading> wine VisualTrading.exe
    wine: Unhandled exception (thread 0009), starting debugger...
    fixme:console:SetConsoleCtrlHandler (0x405bf060,1) - no error checking or testing yet
    WineDbg starting on pid 0x8
    Unhandled exception: 0x0eedfade in 32-bit code (0x00000000).
    In 32 bit mode.
    0x00000000: addb %al,0x0(%eax)
    Wine-dbg>q
    WineDbg terminated on pid 0x8
    zer0mass@linux:~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/VTrading>
    After being thrown into the debugger, I really have no idea what to do, so I quit (q). If anyone has any idea on how to resolve this issue or requires more information, please let me know as I will be very grateful.

Also, if anyone here is interested in forex trading or getting this program to work under wine, the program may be downloaded at www.cms-forex.com. From the menu on the left of the screen, select VT Update, then go all the way down the page for the link to the program.

Thank you.

zer0mass

Linux Engineer
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!

thanks for the positive input

Chris,

thanks for taking the time to read me post and replying. I had already reviewed the slashdot thread that you mentioned. Also, on that thread, all of the people seemed to be talking about trading stock-based futures instead of investing in the foreign exchange market.

Stocks are a bit too complicated and risky for a person like me, with an engineering degree in the works. Besides, my goal is to utilize a realtime, automated trading system and development platform which, based on a certain set of market conditions, automatically executes a trade and also closes it appropriately, which is what this software allows one to do.

Furthermore, the software that I'm trying to work using wine is actually supplied by a forex broker (Capital Market Services, LLC), and so the trading is simplified since I can deal directly with them via my trading platform.

Hence, that's why it's imperative that I get the Visual Trading software working on my linux computer. I would be a waste of a computer to run windows only because of this one (although important) software.

From the output of my parent message, would you, or anyone else, happen to know what the problem is and possibly how to fix it? The program is not complicated, and I find it interesting that directx based games would work but a simple financial flatform program would not although my understanding of these systems is minimal at best.

Once again, input from anyone is welcome and I look forward to getting support from the community.

zer0mass

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    hi zer0mass

did you solve your problem? have same issue with VT and Wine in FC2.

thanks

Linux Engineer
    If this prog is so important I suggest you download Crossover Office Standard from www.codeweavers.com.

Tis a free 30 day trial, nothing to lose.

Give it a go.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly