Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have Macromedia Flash 8 running under Wine on Gentoo, and it functions okay but the performance is unspeakably bad. It takes 5-15 seconds for the program to respond to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Terrible Performance

I have Macromedia Flash 8 running under Wine on Gentoo, and it functions okay but the performance is unspeakably bad. It takes 5-15 seconds for the program to respond to every mouse click! At first I just accepted it, but I have since read that Wine should perform reasonably well.

Does anyone know how to speed Wine up?

Banned
    The program possibly uses a lot of resources, so that you would have to upgrade your system, if you want it to perform with a reasonable speed.

Cheers,
    Alexander

Just Joined!
    I have a pretty high end machine. It was certainly top spec a year ago when I bought it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by a_l_a_n; 11-10-2007 at 09:36 PM. Reason: To say thank you

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ah. Just noticed that its not always slow. It is capable of responding reasonably well, its just the drawing I am working on. It uses a lot of imported graphics and is large so my guess is now that all the memory is being used up holding the drawing in memory, making the program run so slowly.

So question now is, can I increase the memory available to the application as it runs under Wine?

Banned
    It just sounds like what I did presume:

Solution: Upgrade, by sticking in another RAM-stick in the extra RAM slot.

....Resource hungry applications use up more GB of the RAM-memory.