Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have a gateway mt3705, with ubuntu 7.10 on it. I just installed wow, and when i go in through wine to play it via -opengl it comes up fine ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wow

i have a gateway mt3705, with ubuntu 7.10 on it.
    I just installed wow, and when i go in through wine to play it via -opengl it comes up fine but is just soo slow. and i did manage to log in, then start the update but it crashed at 13%. Im somewhat new to linux, but am looking to start using this more, would it be smarter for me to just go out and get that cedgea program? Does wow run better with cedega or with wine?

I've never played WoW (on Linux or otherwise), but Cedega is specifically designed to work better on games. The WINE project has a much broader scope, and because of that they *may* not focus on games as much.

I'm not sure if there is a demo available for Cedega, but it's worth a look. If not, you can purchase it for $15USD (minimum 3-month subscription, $5/mo). If it works for you it's well worth the money. I'd check and see if there's any way to try it out first, though. It's not guaranteed.

Also, make sure you've installed the proper 3D accelerated drivers on whatever Linux distribution you're using. That will boost your OpenGL performance.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    in the last part of what you said you talked about the driver. I have an ATI accelerated graphics driver in use from the restricted drivers window. Do i need to go out and find a new driver for my chip? is that what this is saying?

Quote Originally Posted by mojoe176 View Post
    in the last part of what you said you talked about the driver. I have an ATI accelerated graphics driver in use from the restricted drivers window. Do i need to go out and find a new driver for my chip? is that what this is saying?
    I assume then that you're running Ubuntu? If you have the ATI driver installed from Restricted Drivers, then you're ok.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants