Find the answer to your Linux question:
i need help also i went to winehq.com and tried to download wine for my ubuntu v7.04. It told me to type this in to a termanal: wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wine help

i need help also i went to winehq.com and tried to download wine for my ubuntu v7.04. It told me to type this in to a termanal: wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

and then this:sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/....d/feisty.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

And it was suposed to let me download wine but nothing happned so i continued on to the wine archive and tried to download it from there. it said it was sucsessful but when i went to look for the wine program it was not there.

Can any one help me PLEASE!?!?

Ian Septer

::Moderator Note:: This thread was broken off from another. Please start your own threads, regardless of how similar your problem may seem.
    Last edited by techieMoe; 12-17-2007 at 08:11 PM.

apt-get wine

you should always use apt-get install when possible...with wine it's definitely possible. If you type "wine" in the terminal does anything come up? If so it's installed you just need to find where you installed it at. If nothing happens go with sudo apt-get install wine and you should be up and running in no time...also....why are you still running Feisty....Gutsy runs wine much cleaner, also has other features which Feisty doesn't have....I recommend spending a couple hours to upgrade

Just Joined!

ummm...

ok ime using feisty because ime 15 and know next to nothing about ubuntu also when i type in win in the termnal it comes up with:
    Usage: wine PROGRAM [ARGUMENTS...] Run the specified program
    wine --help Display this help and exit
    wine --version Output version information and exit
    wth does that mean?

wine

that means it is installed. You need to look up "how to use wine" or something similar. If you want an actual icon in your menu just right click the top (or bottom) task bar and click on "custom application launcher". The thing is Wine doesn't really have it's own interface, it's just to open other programs that are supposed to be opened in Windows. If you want to try a program out download DVD Shrink (the windows version) and you should be able to install it as if it were in windows. I highly recommend updating to Gutsy now instead of getting really comfortable with Feisty....they are basically the same but some things just work cleaner in Gutsy (Wine is included in that). What exactly are you trying to use Wine for?

Just Joined!

Thanks

ime using it to play games. And nvm about gusty when i got new updated the upgrade for gusty came up. So I should have wine by 5:00pm today. Thanks for all your help.

games on wine

there are problems with most games using Wine. You should look for support online but chances are...the game won't work. There are a few with a lot of support like WoW and a few others but in general, you should just keep a windows boot for games (that's what I do). I have tried probably 5 games and none have worked correctly. If you are really new you probably won't be able to change a lot of settings or troubleshoot, more trouble than it's worth at this point in your linux days....

Just Joined!

RE:Wine help

my uncle is a linux wiz. if i ever need help i can call him. Ad the game i want to play works on ubuntu when it has wine. My computer is just a peace of **** and it crashes alot and my cd version of ubuntu is out dated and is hard for me to reload all y crap.