Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
as i said before.. to get flash in linux install the "netscape-flash" package.. you dont need wine or crossover or anything and it will provide mozilla/firefox with flash support bgoska: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

as i said before.. to get flash in linux install the "netscape-flash" package.. you dont need wine or crossover or anything and it will provide mozilla/firefox with flash support

bgoska: might i sugest that you stop replying to threads if you dont actualy know anything about the subject?

Just Joined!
    I had to register to post this, and it's not a brilliant first post.

Shockwave Player(which plays director shockwave content), and Shockwave Flash Player(obvious), are not the same thing - as would have been readily apparent to anybody who had even once tried to open or load the Director Shockwave movie the person mentioned.

Confusing which one the person means suggests having no idea about macromedia formats - I mean in terms of web media it's the equivalent of being surprised that they have colour screens these days. Not that that's a big criticism, I'm just saying that if you give advice, people may assume you know what you're on about.

It's only common courtesy, if you are making an educated guess ( a perfectly valid thing to do, and something useful we all do ) to present your advice as just that, instead of just reiterating the same flipping duff advice without even checking

Variant, I don't wish to be rude - someone criticizing someone else for posting without knowledge, could be expected to at least have bothered to avail themself of a single mouse-click before reiterating that advice, even when you've been informed you're wrong - because, ironically, bgoska is right and you are wrong (except about the OS X thing - it's more BSD with GNU than Linux)

You can clear up any doubts you may have about that by going and trying to download and run a director shockwave movie like habbohotel.com, and not by falling out with me, because I promise I'm not around to quarrel

Now for some useful advice.

Practical/End user: Install Crossover Office to use Shockwave player quickly and easily.

Masochist/timewaster: You can try and use reaktivate from kde's CVS if you use konqueror(it does not work at this time, I test it regularly).

Workplace solution: Or if you have windows machines knocking about your network somewhere, that's what rdp is for - run it in a window

Hopefully, at some point someone will drop by this thread wishing to play flash movies, at which point Variant's advice will be almost relevant

Just Joined!

what the ie?

this is definitely not a very good thread for learning to install IE.
    nevertheless, it's one of the top google hits.

expecting it to be a fairly standard resource inquiry, i was surprised to find (difficult to believe in fact!) that LinuxForums.org would be without at least something a little more "official" on the topic of IE on Linux (or IE under WINE).

anyone out there have a suggested resource that you can say from experience will actually get you up and running w/ a "real" version of IE (emulation)? everything i've found thus far has been practically irrelevant due to the dated material.

in particular, i'm looking for something for Fedora, but i'll appreciate any breadcrumbs you might have. thanks!

You are absolutely right. I want to install IE under Wine for two reasons: 1) it's required to install some other software packages, and 2) I want to easily test how web pages look in it.

I haven't put any effort into it lately, but I intend to try IEs 4 Linux again some time. It's a script that installs IE 5, 5.5, and/or 6 under Wine.

I had problems with it a while ago, but it's been updated since then, and I just haven't gotten back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jsabarese
    this is definitely not a very good thread for learning to install IE.
    nevertheless, it's one of the top google hits.

expecting it to be a fairly standard resource inquiry, i was surprised to find (difficult to believe in fact!) that LinuxForums.org would be without at least something a little more "official" on the topic of IE on Linux (or IE under WINE).

anyone out there have a suggested resource that you can say from experience will actually get you up and running w/ a "real" version of IE (emulation)? everything i've found thus far has been practically irrelevant due to the dated material.
    There's a reason for this. Internet Explorer is a Microsoft product designed to run and be fully-integrated with Microsoft's OS, Windows. Running IE on Linux is neither recommended nor easily possible. If you must have IE, run it using a virtual machine or just run Microsoft Windows in a dual-boot configuration.

Asking to install IE on Linux is pretty much like asking "How do I make this Chevrolet engine work with my Honda?" People don't know how to do it because most people neither want or need to. Many suggestions have been made, and this is a very old thread. I see no reason to resurrect it. Locked.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2