Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have never used WINE but I know what it can do. Has anyone been able to play Star Wars Battlefront 2 through WINE? If so how did it work ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gaming Question

I have never used WINE but I know what it can do. Has anyone been able to play Star Wars Battlefront 2 through WINE? If so how did it work out? and finally did the online multiplayer work? The only thing thats keeping me from becoming a full time linux user is that fact that it doesnt have much support for games.

You're likely to have better luck running 3D games using Cedega. It's not free, but it's based on WINE with some game-specific enhancements.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    i have heard of cedega but i never used it. I didnt know you had to pay for it either. I will check it out. I dont mind a 1 time fee but monthly payments are out of the question thats why I wont play WoW. I will check it out. Keep the suggestions coming people.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by kd2323 View Post
    i have heard of cedega but i never used it. I didnt know you had to pay for it either. I will check it out. I dont mind a 1 time fee but monthly payments are out of the question thats why I wont play WoW. I will check it out. Keep the suggestions coming people.
    The only option is a monthly subscription, however you only have to pay for 3 months up front ($5USD/month or $15USD total) and you can cancel it immediately. It's essentially the same as a one time fee.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    15 bones for 3 months? that is awesome. I'd definitly pay for that. I wonder how different the performance will be if I ran it in linux on my laptop. I would assume it would perform better on linux but there is still my hardware limitations. What about colors and graphics? would they be effected in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by kd2323 View Post
    15 bones for 3 months? that is awesome. I'd definitly pay for that. I wonder how different the performance will be if I ran it in linux on my laptop. I would assume it would perform better on linux but there is still my hardware limitations. What about colors and graphics? would they be effected in any way?
    Well, keep in mind the last version of Cedega I used was 5.0, so I'm a version or two behind where they're at now. In my experience the performance on most games was on par with MS Windows. The graphics look identical. Colors? Well believe it or not Linux 24-bit color is the same as XP 32-bit color. XP simply pads their colors with eight zeroes.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants