Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Steam and Wine problems

OK, so I just recently put Ubuntu 7.1 on my computer, with the latest version of wine. I then installed Steam. Steam logs on but when I go to install my games, steam just closes out, no errors just disappears. Is this some problem with wine? or is it a error within steam itself? I searched around google, but I cant find any solutions. Does anyone know what is wrong or how to fix it? Thanks, any help will be appreciated.

Not every program will just work flawlessly in Wine. Expect most to not work or have random problems. Not to put it down, but it really isn't perfect - none of hem are. One that will apparently run Steam and "source games" is Cedega - it's like Wine, but way more advanced and it focuses on games; I have been running Battlefield 1942 on it with no problem at full speed and graphics. Cedega is ~$60, but if you can afford it, or have another method of acquiring it in mind...
    When I find myself burried in errors, Windows Help appears to me; speaking words of wisdom, Reboot!

N/M, I am having problems starting the game more than once.

Linux User #585249
    Linux User #376741 // deprecated
    Code is Poetry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close