Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've got two win32 command line programs I'm running under wine. How do I pipe command line output from one to another? Due to the size of the output (takes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

piping command line output from one win32 command to another

I've got two win32 command line programs I'm running under wine. How do I pipe command line output from one to another? Due to the size of the output (takes 30min to run), it limits how well I can test this scenario.

This doesn't work:

wine command1.exe | wine command2.exe

I'm think that maybe backticks would work:

`wine command1.exe` | `wine command2.exe`

or

wine "command1.exe | command2.exe"

but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadfoo View Post
    I've got two win32 command line programs I'm running under wine. How do I pipe command line output from one to another? Due to the size of the output (takes 30min to run), it limits how well I can test this scenario.

This doesn't work:

wine command1.exe | wine command2.exe

I'm think that maybe backticks would work:

`wine command1.exe` | `wine command2.exe`

or

wine "command1.exe | command2.exe"

but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?
    Try to explain a bit better what you are trying to do and we will see if there's any way around it.

Those examples that you posted, besides being syntactically incorrect in some cases, will never work, because you are trying to pipe something that is outside the scope of your shell.

If you are looking for some DOS-like kind of operation, you should be checking dosbox instead, or even freedos into a virtual box.

Just Joined!
    I'm trying to run a series of scripts using these tools:

Visualizing LIDAR in Google Earth (fast & streaming, source code available)

The full syntax is listed just under the "details" heading, but here is my shortened, similar version:

spfinalize -i input.file -ospb | spdelaunay2d -ispb -osmb | tin2dem -ismb -o new.dem

The commands spfinalize, spdelaunay2d & tin2dem are window's command line executables. The programs are optimized to pipe output from one to the next, which is considerably faster than saving to disk for each step. What I am having a problem with is the pipe syntax so wine will interpret each of the windows executables properly.

Thanks.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadfoo View Post
    I'm trying to run a series of scripts using these tools:

Visualizing LIDAR in Google Earth (fast & streaming, source code available)

The full syntax is listed just under the "details" heading, but here is my shortened, similar version:

spfinalize -i input.file -ospb | spdelaunay2d -ispb -osmb | tin2dem -ismb -o new.dem

The commands spfinalize, spdelaunay2d & tin2dem are window's command line executables. The programs are optimized to pipe output from one to the next, which is considerably faster than saving to disk for each step. What I am having a problem with is the pipe syntax so wine will interpret each of the windows executables properly.

Thanks.
    The problem is that the pipe is a construct that belongs to the shell (command.com or whatever windows uses nowadays). Wine has not a shell emulator, so, you need to run a shell on wine, after that, you can start to figure how use pipes on that shell.

I remember trying 4dos on the past and it didn't work. Maybe cygwin or even the windows cmd.exe would work. I really don't know... But even if they do, I don't know how this will or won't work...