Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Noob to Linux and want to try playing Windows games, what is Wine and or Cedega? Can I play games using Wine or do I need Cedega or both?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Wine not whine

Noob to Linux and want to try playing Windows games, what is Wine and or Cedega? Can I play games using Wine or do I need Cedega or both?

Quote Originally Posted by sirmille View Post
    Noob to Linux and want to try playing Windows games, what is Wine and or Cedega? Can I play games using Wine or do I need Cedega or both?
    Wine HQ

The WINE project is essentially a piece of software that translates the system calls made by Microsoft Windows software into something Linux can understand. WINE is free of charge and open-source. Cedega and a related tool called Crossover are commercial applications based on the same code as WINE that offer emphasis on using games and office applications, respectively.

You only need one of these three to run some MS Windows software on Linux. What software will work and how well depends heavily on a number of factors:

1. What program you're intending to run
    2. What Linux distribution and version of WINE you have
    3. What hardware configuration you have
    4. Whether the program is a 3D game or a 2D one
    5. The age and relative popularity of the game or application

Good luck.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

As I said to you in your previous thread, don't rely on Wine, Cedega or Crossover to run your games. There are things that will work, this is true, but the rule of thumb in Linux is always run Windows software on a Windows machine and use Linux alternatives on a Linux machine. If you're a gamer, keep a Windows partition for that purpose - until the Games companies get round to releasing things on Linux, that is.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT

usually games that have mac support will run without much of a hitch in linux, its just a matter of getting the game to use opengl instead of directx

I must have glanced over that part Manchunian

I got a buddy of mine who is a Linux worshiper (hates anything Windows or Mac), he claims I can play any Windows game using Wine, I got all the new ones, I got some old ones if you can consider WOW old? 99% of the time I don't have an answer for this guys geekyishness so I just say, OK I'll have to check that out". Now that I've had the time to actually use Linux I want to see all what it's capable of doing.

Actually, you can get Wine to run a hell of a lot of stuff if you're prepared to tweek it - and work hard at it. I personally don't have the patience or the know-how to bother.

No you didn't, I never said anything of the sort! Got it confused with another thread - sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Manchunian View Post
    Actually, you can get Wine to run a hell of a lot of stuff if you're prepared to tweek it - and work hard at it. I personally don't have the patience or the know-how to bother.
    Nah!!! not gunna do that, I'll break something. Using Riva Tuner to overclock my card and control my fan speed, I haven't run across anything like that for Linux, I'll leave it alone, maybe my buddy Mr. Linux Know-it-all knows

Oops!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sirmille View Post

I got a buddy of mine who is a Linux worshiper (hates anything Windows or Mac), he claims I can play any Windows game using Wine
    Your "buddy" is lying to you, plain and simple. People can get overzealous about things like their favorite operating system and exaggerate its abilities in order to make it sound like the be-all and end-all solution.

There is no Linux OS on the planet that can run 100% of Microsoft Windows games. As I said before, what you can run depends on a number of factors, not the least of which is *what game* you want to play.

I got all the new ones, I got some old ones if you can consider WOW old?
    Age isn't necessarily an indicator of whether or not WINE will run something. If you're curious what other people have had success using, try doing a search for some of your games in the WineHQ Application Database:

Wine AppDB - Wine Application Database

There you can see actual reported cases of success or failure using various versions of WINE and various distributions to get a good idea of what works and what doesn't.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast