Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have tried both BF2 and BF2142 and in both cases I get sound but no 3D. The window is just one color which does change (I think to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sound but no 3D

I have tried both BF2 and BF2142 and in both cases I get sound but no 3D. The window is just one color which does change (I think to the most dominant color on the screen).

GFX: ATI Radeon HD2600 Series (Driver: ATI V8.3 - March 5, 200
    WINE: 0.9.56

Any help would be appreciated.

Could you give us the output of gfxgears please?

Just Joined!
    I assume you mean glxgears

[Bill@localhost ~]$ glxgears
    33500 frames in 5.0 seconds = 6699.992 FPS
    37481 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7496.026 FPS
    37353 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7470.469 FPS
    37744 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7548.783 FPS
    37521 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7504.186 FPS
    36768 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7353.443 FPS

Oh I jsut realised you are running this through wine. Wine does not allow for 3d as far as I know because it doesn't support DirectX rendering. There was a project called WineX which did but it is now named Cedega and I think there is a fee to use it.

Linux Guru
    Wine does not allow for 3d as far as I know
    False, wine supports opengl, which is why it can run 3d games that use opengl. Wine can compile with opengl support, as long as you have a valid libGL.

Wine HQ - Wine and OpenGL

That's definitely the way that wine is shipped on (I'd say) 100% of the distros that include wine officially.

because it doesn't support DirectX rendering. There was a project called WineX which did but it is now named Cedega and I think there is a fee to use it.
    False as well. Wine does support a big part of direct3d, which is the relevant part of directx for this discussion. You can see the actual status of the direct3d support (and other directx pieces) here:

Wine HQ - Wine Status DirectX DLLs

In fact, the d3d support in wine is better than the one in cedega, from my own experience. Most of the important bits are all there.

Anyway, for the original poster: I don't know what "BF" is. You can start looking at the wine app database, and see if there's something about the game you want to run there:

Wine AppDB - Wine Application Database

In that main page you can see only the top apps, use the search box to the left to search the whole database for your app or game.

EDIT'ed: also, always try to update to the last version of your game's client if there are updates. Some times odd errors like the one you describe are fixed with a bugfix release or a patch.