Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have something in windows that I scanned that is a virus and a application so I booted into linux to run it. Can Wine get a virus?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can Wine get viruses?

I have something in windows that I scanned that is a virus and a application so I booted into linux to run it. Can Wine get a virus?

Quote Originally Posted by JTB7 View Post
    I have something in windows that I scanned that is a virus and a application so I booted into linux to run it. Can Wine get a virus?
    In theory, I guess. However since WINE is not an entire Microsoft Windows operating system the damage a virus could do is pretty well confined. Windows viruses do not affect Linux. In the absolute worst case scenario you'd end up uninstalling and reinstalling WINE. That's it.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Yes. Wine can get virus and make your system un-bootable. Be careful while using Wine and never run it as root.
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    In the absolute worst case scenario you'd end up uninstalling and reinstalling WINE. That's it.
    If anyone run winei as Regular user then virus will affect /home only but as running Wine as root could end up hosing everything. One has to re-install whole OS.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Running Windows Viruses With Wine
    Even though it's a 3 year old article, it's still a good one :P

Here is the other one. Go through whole thread. Its an interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Yes. Wine can get virus and make your system un-bootable. Be careful while using Wine and never run it as root.

If anyone run winei as Regular user then virus will affect /home only but as running Wine as root could end up hosing everything. One has to re-install whole OS.
    How could a virus written to affect Microsoft Windows DLL files and executables "hose" a Linux system at all? Explain. Yes, in theory a root-enabled MS Windows virus running in Wine would have access to Linux system files, but how would it have any clue what to do with them?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Please check the link that I posted in post #5. I have faced exactly similar problem a year and half back. I didn't know much about Linux that time.

Please check the link that I posted in post #5. I have faced exactly similar problem a year and half back. I didn't know much about Linux that time.
    Well, the best I can see from the thread is that if you run a virus in WINE with root privileges it can muck things up. Thus, a very simple fix is to never run WINE with root privileges. Then, as I said before, the only thing that it can screw up is stuff in your /home/ folder.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Well, the best I can see from the thread is that if you run a virus in WINE with root privileges it can muck things up. Thus, a very simple fix is to never run WINE with root privileges. Then, as I said before, the only thing that it can screw up is stuff in your /home/ folder.
    Thats what I mentioned in my first post in this thread.

Thats what I mentioned in my first post in this thread.
    Ok. You got me. I stand corrected.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast