Find the answer to your Linux question:
I wanted to play FIFA08, so I installed the game and it told me to install directx 9.0c. so i downloaded it and installed it. I ran DXSETUP.exe, then tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HELP! dxdiag problem in wine

I wanted to play FIFA08, so I installed the game and it told me to install directx 9.0c. so i downloaded it and installed it.
    I ran DXSETUP.exe, then tried to run dxdiag.exe from /home/andrewdjkim/.wine/drive_c/system32
    but there was no dxdiag.exe
    I installed it everything, but no dxdiag..where is it or did i do something wrong?

Linux Guru
    Check wine appdb for instructions on running concrete programs.

Wine AppDB - Search results

Note also that, regardless it the install works or not, directx will not work under wine at all. Wine has it's own completely free alternative implementation of directx, which is not complete, but works most of the times.

Just Joined!
    This site seems to claim it works.

And there you do test with DXDIAG.exe

DirectX 9.0c March 2008 redistributable on Linux with Wine | Wine Reviews

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rexdejong View Post
    This site seems to claim it works.

And there you do test with DXDIAG.exe

DirectX 9.0c March 2008 redistributable on Linux with Wine | Wine Reviews
    It doesn't say such a thing. It just tells you that it *installs*, but the whole directx will never work, because of technical reasons.

As you can read at the end of the article:

Keep in mind d3d8, d3d9, ddraw will only work as builtin, and in most cases you should try to use builtin dsound and dinput. I have had limited success with (dsound and dinput) in native Windows mode btw... The reason why these dlls have to be used in builtin mode is there need for direct access to your hardware. direct music and direct play can be used in native windows mode in most circumstances.
    So, most stuff as I already said will not work in native, but only as builtin (which means that, regardless of the dlls being installed, wine will use it's own internal implementation). It's not about doing tricky things with wine, it's just plain impossible. Those libs need direct access at driver level, and, the windows drivers just don't run under wine. Period.

It will help with some small pieces that can work without that kind of low-level interaction, but I see no point in installing directX as a whole, it's just a space waste. If you need a given library for a game, just pick it manually and copy it into your system32 directory or the game directory. I've done this for directplay to be able to play networked on baldur's gate I and II.