Find the answer to your Linux question:
I need help with wine please. I know there are tutorials out there and i've seen them...i have no clue what there talking about! these are some instructions i've seen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Total Noob Needs Help With Wine

I need help with wine please. I know there are tutorials out there and i've seen them...i have no clue what there talking about!

these are some instructions i've seen from (Wine HQ - Wine for Debian based distributions)

First, open a terminal window (what does that mean). Then add the repository's key (what does that mean) to your system's list of trusted APT keys (what does that mean) by copy and pasting the following:

wget -q http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/387EE263.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

Next, add the repository to your system's list of APT sources:
    (after i do the above do i just go to this website?)

For Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10):
    sudo wget http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt/...t.d/gutsy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/winehq.list

and is this all i need to install to run logmein on ubuntu?
    i heard something about wine doors (i have no clue what that is)...do i need it?...if so when i try and download it i get a page of giberish!

Thanks!

Just Joined!

installing wine

LOL, I was just getting ready to make my first post on this forum when I saw this one! Since I'm having my own problems with Wine I'm probably not the expert here- I think Wine might be causing a problem because I changed some settings... So be careful changing the settings! However, I think I can answer your questions.

Most tutorials tell you to use terminals a lot, because if you know what you're doing you can get stuff done faster, and it works on all distros. And Linux people are like that. A terminal window is just a place where you can type commands. To get one, go to Programs>Accessories>Terminal. You can also type commands if you hold down Ctrl and Alt and press F1 (Ctrl+Alt+F7 to get back) but you can't paste stuff into that (as far as I know) so opening a terminal "window" is easier. Just paste in the first line and hit enter, then do that for the second line.

Now that you've run those commands, you're ready to install Wine. Open Synaptic Package Manager (in the System>Administration menu) and use the Find feature to search for "wine". Click the box next to the name and select "Mark for installation." Now just click the apply button and answer yes to the warning box. When it finsihes downloading and installing, you can use Wine. Now, there's no guarantee that your program will work in it out of the box (many don't) but if you just double-click the .exe file, Wine will try to open it. You might have to wait a few minutes, and it doesn't give you any progress indicators; the program will just open after a while if it's going to work.

IDK what Wine Doors is- maybe someone else knows? Let me know when you get Wine installed!

Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by frostythegorilla View Post
    IDK what Wine Doors is- maybe someone else knows? Let me know when you get Wine installed!
    I can answer that. WINE Doors is a graphical front-end to WINE which in my opinion is unnecessary. Once you install wine through your package manager (it works in Ubuntu 7.10; that's what I have too) you should have an option in your right-click menu when you click on an EXE file to "Open with WINE". From there it's just a matter of crossing your fingers. Some apps work, others don't. For a better idea, try searching the name of the programs you want to run in the WINE Application Database:

Wine AppDB - Wine Application Database
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Smile Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by frostythegorilla View Post
    LOL... Let me know when you get Wine installed!

Frosty
    Thank you so much!

Just Joined!
    So you got Wine installed? Sweet! I'll be interested to know if logmein works with it- I've heard that's a pretty cool program. BTW, I just got my question answered, too. It seems I messed up my Windows installation by pointing Wine at the Windows system folder- apparently a big no-no. So as long as you keep Wine separate from your Windows (which just means not changing those settings) you should be fine. Good luck!
    Frosty

Just Joined!

Exclamation no luck with logmein in linux

I cant get logmein to work on linux anyone know how to make it work on ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by rybuntu View Post
    I cant get logmein to work on linux anyone know how to make it work on ubuntu?
    As a host or a client? I'm able to use logmein in Linux to log into a MS Windows box at work. Are you talking about the other way around?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Trying

basically my school runs windows, I need to access my computer at home which is using the Linux (ubuntu) os.

Just Joined!

some other remote desktop ideas

Just an idea if you can't get logmein to work in Wine, you could consider a similar system like VNC remote desktop. Windows comes with a client (Remote Desktop Connection), and you could get a free server pretty easily for Ubuntu. RealVNC (at realvnc.com) makes a good free server, and there's lots of other options. HTH,
    Frosty