Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
OK, cool, well I fixed Wine's settings, so no references to the Windows partition now, but using the last known good configuration and system restore didn't help, so I guess ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OK, cool, well I fixed Wine's settings, so no references to the Windows partition now, but using the last known good configuration and system restore didn't help, so I guess I need to do something else. Is there any way to do a clean reinstall of Windows without having to back up files and programs and erase the disk? I don't have a lot of experience installing Windows, but I do know that a recovery installation didn't work last time. Thanks again for the help.
    Frosty

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by frostythegorilla View Post
    OK, cool, well I fixed Wine's settings, so no references to the Windows partition now, but using the last known good configuration and system restore didn't help, so I guess I need to do something else. Is there any way to do a clean reinstall of Windows without having to back up files and programs and erase the disk? I don't have a lot of experience installing Windows, but I do know that a recovery installation didn't work last time. Thanks again for the help.
    Frosty
    The only correct way to do it is a complete reinstallation. Anything else, will only bring more trouble in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by i92guboj View Post
    The only correct way to do it is a complete reinstallation. Anything else, will only bring more trouble in the end.
    The only other thing you can do is create another partition and just put your data files docs etc on that. You should then be able to do a fresh Windows install, just formatting the partition you are installing to. Something like PartedMagic can be used to do the partition resizing and creation. It can also be used to copy the data across to your newly created data partition.
    This should save you data restore after you reinstall Windows but you should still backup the data and will need to reinstall programs.

Ed: and you might want to get a copy of SuperGrub to make restoring the Linux boot a bit easier.

Just Joined!
    OK, I guess I'll just have to reinstall then. All the files are already backed up, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. And thanks for the suggestion of Super Grub Disk, something like that could be really helpful. Thanks everyone for all the help!
    Frosty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2