Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey everyone, I really don't know if I'm posting this in the right place, but I think Wine might be causing these problems, and I'd like an opinion from someone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can Wine create problems with Windows?

Hey everyone,
    I really don't know if I'm posting this in the right place, but I think Wine might be causing these problems, and I'd like an opinion from someone who knows a little more about how it works. Let me explain what's been going on.

A few weeks ago, I finally got around to re-installing Linux on this computer (hp pavilion 751; 1.7ghz/1gb/40gb with XP SP2). I'd been using XP for a while with no problems. That same night, I used Wine a little bit, and I think I even changed Wine's Program Files directory to Windows' actual C:\Program Files (for a good reason, but I can't remember what -.-) The next time I started up Windows, explorer didn't load (so no desktop icons or taskbar). You can start it from the Task Manager, but it doesn't start automatically when you log in (this happens for all accounts, even new ones). A couple days later, the sound stopped working. "No audio device," but it's intermittent. Sometimes you'll restart and it'll work. Then a certain plugin that used to work started crashing Internet Explorer 7. Oh, and finally the icon for My Computer disappeared (only that icon) and I couldn't connect to local network computers for SMB anymore.

I tried a recovery reinstallation of Windows, but that didn't fix everything, so I wiped the disk clean and started from scratch with all the programs. Everything went OK until I used Wine again. These exact same problems started happening. When I used Wine, I changed a few drive mappings (C:\ to /media/disk-1 and stuff like that). So what I'm wondering is: does Wine make any changes to files on drives that it's configured to use that would mess up Windows? I guess I could reinstall again, but that would be a pain, and I really do want to use Wine. Does anyone have an idea what could be going on? Hope this makes sense, let me know if it's not clear. Thanks!
    Frosty

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by frostythegorilla View Post
    A few weeks ago, I finally got around to re-installing Linux on this computer (hp pavilion 751; 1.7ghz/1gb/40gb with XP SP2). I'd been using XP for a while with no problems. That same night, I used Wine a little bit, and I think I even changed Wine's Program Files directory to Windows' actual C:\Program Files (for a good reason, but I can't remember what -.-)
    Actually, I can't think of any good reason to do that. Wine is not intended to work that way. If you want to run something under wine, install it using wine, or copy it manually from your windows partition, but do not do that.

The best way to make sure that wine doesn't interfere with your windows installation is to not use the windows partition. Copy your programs to your ~/.wine/c_drive/ and don't do odd things like that.

If wine overwrites something, or modify system files or the registry file (very likely, by the way), then it will screw up your windows registry. No one can avoid that.

I'd like an opinion from someone who knows a little more about how it works. Let me explain what's been going on.
    ... and I think I even changed Wine's Program Files directory to Windows' actual C:\Program Files (for a good reason, but I can't remember what -.-)
    Feel free to wait for more informed input but if I understand your question ....
    you have set the 'fake windows' directory to the same directory as the real windows and your wondering if it is causing problems ...

I'm impressed Windows and Wine still work.

Ed: they are trying to use the same structure.

Just Joined!
    I even changed Wine's Program Files directory to Windows' actual C:\Program Files...
    Good Lord, why? I hope no Wine doc still recommends this.
    It's poison. Never do it.

It might make sense to share some things between Windows and Wine
    (like, say, a second hard drive with images or music on it), but the
    Windows directory is *not* safe to share between the two.

Just Joined!
    Wow, I guess I really did mess things up. I had no idea Wine actually made changes to system files. In a few minutes, I'll go to Wine and see exactly what my drive mappings are. But is there any way to fix the registry, or will I have to just do a clean reinstall again? Sound has been working for quite a while now, but explorer still doesn't load. I googled that problem, and it seems like a lot of different things can cause it. I tried a couple registry fixes last time, but couldn't get it working. Thanks for helping,
    Frosty

Just Joined!
    Maybe you can do a "restore to last known good configuration",
    How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP
    But if that doesn't work, you're probably screwed,
    and have to reinstall Windows.

Just Joined!

But is there any way to fix the registry, or will I have to just do a clean reinstall again?
    It sounds as though you did a clean install not so long ago ... I'd change the Wine directory ... and possibly reinstall Wine, I would also do a fresh Windows install ... otherwise you will never be really sure everything was put back as it should be ... better to do the job right - but that just my opinion.

Just Joined!
    OK, I'm in Wine configuration and I can see that I pointed C:\ to /media/disk and Z:\ to /. Which means that C:\Program Files is... yeah, that's bad. OK, I'll change C:\ to ~/.wine/drive_c. Should that prevent things from being messed up any more?

All right, let's see- I guess now I need to load Windows with the last known good configuration. This started when I first used Wine on Wednesday, so I'll see if Tuesday's settings work.

Linux Guru
    OK, I'm in Wine configuration and I can see that I pointed C:\ to /media/disk and Z:\ to /. Which means that C:\Program Files is... yeah, that's bad. OK, I'll change C:\ to ~/.wine/drive_c. Should that prevent things from being messed up any more?
    It should, as long as you don't have symlinked anything into $HOME/.wine/drive_c or something like that. You can also just delete ~/.wine/ and the config will be recreated the next time you launch wine.

You don't need to reinstall wine as anyone said above. You as a user can't write on any file related to wine, except those in your $HOME dir, so, the installation should be ok still.

All right, let's see- I guess now I need to load Windows with the last known good configuration. This started when I first used Wine on Wednesday, so I'll see if Tuesday's settings work.
    Luck on that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast