Find the answer to your Linux question:
I Just got Office 2000 installed on my Fedora 8 system here, but I'm getting the registration screen endlessly. It's got the CD Key which is valid and it's a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Office Install

I Just got Office 2000 installed on my Fedora 8 system here, but I'm getting the registration screen endlessly. It's got the CD Key which is valid and it's a legal lisensed copy of office. I want my work PC to be Linux for many reasons, but I also need to be able to run and administer Access applications which have a lot of VB code behind them. I connect using ODBC to web based DB's and OO Base is not an option.

For those asking why would you want MS Office, yes you are correct. If all you want is to do word processing and spreadsheets that are reasonably simple, then yes OO is enough. However, if there's so much as a command button in an Access app, good luck converting to OO. The database is not ready yet for real friendly interaction with users.

If anyone has info about how to modify my Wine registry to allow these apps to run correctly without asking me to enter user information every time, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance for any help.

PS. My office install appeared to hang for a long time, perhaps 30 minutes before completing. It did complete though. As long as I ignore the user dialog, I can use the apps but that's not going to be good enough for me long term. My system is a 2.4Ghz Athlon that's new if someone want's to compare CPU vs time to expect completion of the Wine install.

You don't have to defend your use of Microsoft software with wine. That's what wine is for.

I'm not sure, but it is possible that this is yet another manifestation of wine bug 5351. You can try the work around trick I just posted in another post.