Find the answer to your Linux question:
How reliable is Wine. I have a pretty hardcore gaming system that I still use Windows on because like 99% of my games won't work on Linux (Except i notice ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dumb Question (Well i guess not for a linux n00b)

How reliable is Wine. I have a pretty hardcore gaming system that I still use Windows on because like 99% of my games won't work on Linux (Except i notice theres a how-to on getting World of Warcraft to work so that will become 98%)

Here is the list of games I play.

World of Warcraft (with burning crusade expansion)
    Starcraft
    Warcraft III (With expansion)
    Warcraft I: Orcs and Humans (even though that won't even work on vista)
    Diablo 1, 2, and Lord of Destruction Expansion
    Guitar Hero 3 (Will the guitar even work)
    Sims 2
    Madden 2008

Those are kinda the games I can't live without and alot of them are staples that i've played for years.

My Linux box is ubuntu 7. Will Wine be the answer to my windows woes?

I am new at this so i'm still in the (Why is Linux better then Windows phase)

Wine is pretty much hit and miss, but has made extraordinary progress running Windows apps over the last few years. A good way to research each game is to Google its name along with the word, "wine." World of WarCraft is supposed to run really well under wine. I play StarCraft with wine and it runs very satisfactory. Frank's Corner is a good place to learn more.

Having said that, all those games are made for Windows. There's nothing wrong with playing them in their native OS. You can set up a dual boot system with Windows and Ubuntu. Might take a minute or two to boot between the two...
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 05-15-2008 at 06:11 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ericcruefan View Post
    How reliable is Wine. I have a pretty hardcore gaming system that I still use Windows on because like 99% of my games won't work on Linux (Except i notice theres a how-to on getting World of Warcraft to work so that will become 98%)

Here is the list of games I play.

World of Warcraft (with burning crusade expansion)
    Starcraft
    Warcraft III (With expansion)
    Warcraft I: Orcs and Humans (even though that won't even work on vista)
    Diablo 1, 2, and Lord of Destruction Expansion
    They all work without problems.

Guitar Hero 3 (Will the guitar even work)
    Sims 2
    Madden 2008
    No idea.

Check: Wine AppDB - Wine Application Database

I am new at this so i'm still in the (Why is Linux better then Windows phase)
    It's just different. If your OS already does what you need, then there's no reason to change unless it's out of curiosity. I am sure it's better for me, for my needs, but to each his/her own.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks too the both of you. I worked with it a little last night and Diablo would go through the intro blizzard screens and then it would just kick back to the main screen. But I at least got it to install!

Ubuntu came with so many cool time waster games, especially all the Tux related games lol.