Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have two queries regarding WINE. 1) Is there support for VMS(OpenVMS) in WINE. I mean that can I install/build WINE over OpenVMS OS. 2) I have heard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Does WINE run on OpenVMS ?

Hi all,

I have two queries regarding WINE.
    1) Is there support for VMS(OpenVMS) in WINE. I mean that can I install/build WINE over OpenVMS OS.

2) I have heard that WINE doesnot have support for WIN64 bit API's. Is this true that I cannot port WIN64 applications via WINE on Linux 64 bit.

If this is possible for anyone among you then plz list the name of all the OS where WINE can be successfully build.

Kind Regards

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by nabilchampion View Post
    Hi all,

I have two queries regarding WINE.
    1) Is there support for VMS(OpenVMS) in WINE. I mean that can I install/build WINE over OpenVMS OS.
    I have no experience with VMS or OpenVMS, so I can't be sure. I suppose that, as long as all the required libraries are ported to that OS and it can run 32 bits applications, it whould be possible to compile wine on it, maybe with some minor hacks. Your best bet is to ask on the wine mailing lists.

Officially it supports Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris, I think.

2) I have heard that WINE doesnot have support for WIN64 bit API's. Is this true that I cannot port WIN64 applications via WINE on Linux 64 bit.
    I don't know what do you exactly mean by "port". You can't run 64 bits apps with wine, because wine is a native implementation of the win32 api using linux and xlib. Also, you can't compile wine as a 64 bits linux application, but you can still compile and run a 32 bits wine on a 64 bits linux installation without a problem.

Just Joined!
    thnx i92guboj you clarified what i wanted to know...
    Regards