Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi every body i'm new at your forums , it really looked very great one simply, my story is that i'm really sick of that wine,i've read hundreds of threads ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

sick of wine

hi every body

i'm new at your forums , it really looked very great one
    simply, my story is that i'm really sick of that wine,i've read hundreds of threads in this forum and some others but without but until now i didn't get any clear idea of how to deal with it and use it

i'm running a windows and i want to switch to linux as quick as possible but the greatest problem facing me is running applications on linux

i've never found a full tutorial that explains well how to setup wine and start using it .so could any pro help me and give me a full tutorial of getting started with wine ?????
    i know that's too much ......but what can i do
    and thanks very much
    regards

There's several tutorials available at WineHQ.

Wine HQ
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

What is it you're trying to run? The way I see it is like this...If you are going to switch to Linux do so with a full attempt to use native programs. If there is something that you can't replace then try Wine. If it's a case that you want to run Linux but are bringing everything from Windows except the operating system then it's likely the case that you'd be better off with Windows.

The latest Wine builds are pretty good without any setup from what I've seen. Check out the link techieMoe posted but the gist of it is you launch the Windows executable with an application called 'winelauncher'. It is a command line tool, but if you wish you can associate .exe files with it for ease (some would argue this is not a great idea from a security point of view).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    What is it you're trying to run? The way I see it is like this...If you are going to switch to Linux do so with a full attempt to use native programs.
    actually i would like to do that but some applications like photoshop and dream weaver have no similar native programs....so i need to know how to use wine to be able to run them under linux

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by most hacker View Post
    actually i would like to do that but some applications like photoshop and dream weaver have no similar native programs....so i need to know how to use wine to be able to run them under linux
    I do web development and can assure you, that there are lots of tools available in Linux that are similar to Dreamweaver. My personal favourites are Aptana Studio and Quanta (which is part of the kdewebdev package. Also BlueFish and Screem are decent alternatives. As for Photoshop, take a look at GIMP and Krita. The only thing I dislike about GIMP is the interface (multiple windows). Another good program, especially for SVG stuff is inkscape. If none of those tools suite your needs, you can always dual boot.

Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    Another good program, especially for SVG stuff is inkscape.
    Man I am having so much fun with Inkscape this week. It is an absolutely amazing piece of software. The clean interface does a good job of hiding the advanced features that would normally scare you off but they are there if you need them. There is a tutorials section under the Help menu in Inkscape...highly recommend reading through it for some ideas.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    Man I am having so much fun with Inkscape this week. It is an absolutely amazing piece of software. The clean interface does a good job of hiding the advanced features that would normally scare you off but they are there if you need them. There is a tutorials section under the Help menu in Inkscape...highly recommend reading through it for some ideas.
    I agree with you. There is even a Windows version of Inkscape which is cool for those that don't want to use Illustrator or the corel apps.